Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
MrPatrick

Carlsbad power plant, Bass, Barber Poles and Baleen Whales

What cool day I had! The launch by the power plant was easy one footers. Paddled out and made a left turn and headed to the kelp. I stopped at the first lobster bouy and dropped a lure and caught a small sandie. Cool no skunk. Paddled to edge of the kelp and dropped my saltwater version of a dropshot and caught a small calico. It was just a few fish today, all on the small side except for the barber pole rockfish. They were keeper size but went back until march.
The real cool part of the morning were the grey whales, they breached three times and hung out feeding for about half an hour. They would dive down and you could see the mud billow up to the surface. They were followed by dolphins that were feeding in the shallows and entertained the people on the beach for over an hour.
Cool day fishing in my "back yard" today.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
YakNutz

Thanks for the report. I fish the lagoon and tamarack beach all the time but I've never launched the kayak there...I think it's time to give it a shot. How rough was the surf on your way back in?
YakNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
wade

Lifes Rad in Cbad..
I was just saying to Zac otw at lj we should be out at the plant today.. Thanks Pat

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
MrPatrick

Surf

The landing was easy peasy, just like the launch. Easy to time the rare bigger waves.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Paddled to edge of the kelp and dropped my saltwater version of a dropshot and caught a small calico.

Just curious......what is your version of a saltwater drop shot? Can you send me or post pics? I use the drop shot as well, just want to compare and see what it looks like

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Zfish03

Nice day! Thanks the report. I've only launched out of carlsbad once and had a fun time. Although I got my ass kicked landing on the way in, it was worth it!
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
MrPatrick

Dropshot

My version goes like this
3/0 to 4/0 wide gap worm hook tied with a palomar knot with an 18" tag end left I like gamakatsu
A snap swivel tied to the tag end with a clinch knot
A 1to 2 oz torpedo sinker clipped to the snap
In la Jolla I attach the torpedo to the snap with a rubber band. If it gets caught on the rocks while fishing the band breaks and the rig stays intact. hope this helps. You can switch out baits real fast to target different species. Works on all kinds of fish from Hali to calicos to rockfish.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
JarrodMc

I've launched out of Ponto a few times. I'm gonna have to try the power plant next.
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
kareem korn

I board fished it today for a few calicos. There was a whale there today as well. Really nice and clear water.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote