Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Sherm

Sd bay 3-21 am

I arrived at SD bay on Saturday morning at first light. Wanted to get some time on the water and re-aquaint myself with bay fishing. It's been nothin but buggin for a while. Hit the water and started to paddle off to my attended spot. Well....the fish finder wasn't working (transdaucer cam undone) so I'm fishin blind. No problem...I know my spots pretty well. I was sure I would find the fish.

Started to see a lot of bait on the surface while paddling across the bay so I threw out a lipped bait I had set up. Started to troll the bait when I thought it got snagged on a piece of kelp. I reeled it in and found a small lizard fish attached to the crankbait. The lure was as big as this lizard fish. I thought lizard fish were bottom critters. I didn't know they fed on the surface as well. I mean this was in the middle of the bay. Weird.

I arrrived at my spot and there was no tide movement. Tide was supposed to start heading out at a good clip so I fished and waited. The fishing was slow!!!!!! or I suck!!!! I could only manage a couple of short hali's in about an hour's worth of fishing. Could not even scratch up a spottie. The tide started to move and still no decent fish to speak of. I finally managed two spotties before I headed across the bay to try some other "go to" spots.

The fishing sucked at those spots as well. I managed to scratch a few bass over the next two hours but that was it. Tried all kinds of baits and the fishing (or the fisherman) was just slow. A beautiful morning and a good cigar made it all ok though.

Did see a carrier coming out of the bay with all kinds of people on board and loud music blasting away. There were grand stands on the flight deck and flight simulators operating down below deck. All kinds of people on this thing. Any body know what was going on? It looked like a lot of fun was being had on that flat top.

Off the water at 10am. I must be losing my touch. My last two trips have been a pretty weak performance.

Fish count:

5 Spotties (dinks)
2 Turdrollers (dinks)
2 flatties (more dinks)
1 lizardfish (uberdink)

all C&R
Attached Thumbnails

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote