Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
CKallday71

What type of anchor ?

Buenos Dias all thee gurus of the plastic armada!

So, here's my question. What do Ya'll use for an anchor? I have been using a 5Lb plastic coated dumbbell for when I'm in freshwater and it works fine. I went out and bought a grappling hook one and on my first time out in DP just outside the harbor it got hung up on something down below and just about flipped me off my Yak and put me in the drink with the swells.

So my question, when you can't tie off to kelp and you want to anchor, what do you use? And what kind of line? I was using some rope from Home Depot but I've seen stuff as thin as nylon kite string used.

Thanks for the education!
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
easyday

I use 550 cord, or better known as parachute cord I get tons of it from work. Its really strong and very thin and takes up little to no space.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I use 550 cord, or better known as parachute cord I get tons of it from work. Its really strong and very thin and takes up little to no space.
550 cord and attach about 4 feet of bungee to tie it off to the yak, allows you to "roll' with the swells and not roll in the swell. also if you didnt do it already tie your anchor line to the loop on the bottom of the anchor, run the line to the loop at the top and zip tie the line to the loop if it ever gets stuck a few tugs will break the zip tie and pull the anchor out.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I was outside of DP harbor last weekend and remember thinking it was a good time to try out my anchor (grappling type) but I ended up just using my kelp clip instead. After reading this I'm glad I didn't drop the anchor. I have a hobie anchor trolley setup that has about a 1' bungie connecting the two ends of the trolley rope. Think that's good enough to keep from getting flipped? I've got the anchor tied to 50' floating yellow poly crab trap rope from west marine. I think I'll dump it for the 550 cord since the trap rope takes alot of space and seems like a pain to keep untangled.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
taggermike

There are many sizes of 4 blade folding anchors. They
Don't take up much space and hold well. I don't anchor
Often but when I do I don't mess around. I have a 5lb folder withb
About 10' of chain. I also use the vip tie breack away. I have anchored
At the mouth of SD Bay to surf when the tide was ebbing with out
Any dragging. Scope legnth and angle, anchor wieght and type, and chain all
Work together. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Twisted nylon is the preferred line for anchor and dock /mooring, lines due to the built in stretch. 1/4"-3/8" should do, I prefer the 1/4" not as much water drag and has breaking strength of about 100#.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote