Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
GregAndrew

Tommy does Scuba

Well, let's start at the beginning. My mother wants me to come down for a family get together in SD on Easter. So I say sure, it is a good excuse to get in a little fishing and video time at LJ. So, of course I have to go out early Easter Sunday to check the water level, salinity etc. By the time I get to her house and spend a bit of time with the family, I only have time to watch maybe 30 minutes of a few hours of video. I see some of the usual characters, but also get only my 2nd YT footage from the bottom.

So I go back the next day, intent on getting some more video. And I have got another couple hours worth before I am ready to pack it up and head home to sleep before work. I release the line from my downrigger clip and start to reel up the camera. The clip I connect my downrigger to my ball assembly gets right to my fingers when the knot breaks. Well, before my downrigger ball even hits the bottom I am marking the spot on my FF. Two hours later, after dragging everything on my kayak that could possibly grab the assembly or the line from the ball to the camera I gave up (for the day).

During the next week, I thought and planned and devised what I thought would be the perfect snagging rig. It ended up being a 6' threaded rod with an eyelet on either end. I attached 10 large weighted treble hooks to it on lines that were about 12-14" long. I connected the 2 eyelets with about 15' of braided line and made a loop in the middle to keep it dragging square to my direction of travel. Unfortunately, an emergency came up at work and I had to work Saturday night for 10 hours.

So, Sunday morning, fresh from 10 hours of work and 2 hours of driving I get to LJ only to see that the launch is close to kayaks until after 10:30 I tried to rest, but that never goes well in my truck. So I get up and rig up hoping that the 1/2 marathon will be done early. I did manage to sneak across the track at the restrooms a bit after 10 and headed out into some surf that was entertaining. I spent the next 5 hours trying to black out the screen on my FF/GPS. I snagged Snails, Kelp, Starfish, Salps, Squid eggs and even a creature I have never seen before. It looked like a potato skin on top of a Abalone foot surrounded by Urchin feet (wish I had got a pic). As I began to fall asleep while paddling, I decided to come back fresh the next day with a modified setup.

Back the next day, with shortened leaders to the trebles (so they are not catching each other constantly) I hit it hard again. About an hour into the morning, I had to erase my tracks for the 2nd time on this trip to see the mark. Another couple hours and not even a whiff of a decent snag, it was time to roll up again and head back home. So I put away the "perfect" snagging tool and dropped my other downrigger camera down. I had time for just a small circle around the mark and it was time to roll up. I made a loop around the mark at about a 40' diameter and then drifted through the middle. Just before I pulled up the camera, there it was, sitting there in the upright position on the bottom. A few pregnant Squid had found it, but it was very easy to see, and right where I had marked it.

That is when I went home and put out the distress call for a Scuba diver. A few days later I get a Facebook message from Neil that a buddy of his (a Navy Diver) Tommy would help me out . I met Neil and Tommy out on the water on Neil's boat and me on my kayak after work the next Saturday morning. I marked the spot and Tommy jumped in the water. It was hot and humid that day, but after a short drop, he came back for his hood and gloves (weird how all that heat in the air does not penetrate more than a couple feet down?). Anyway, he heads back down, while I think I am documenting the whole rescue on film on my other camera (my brand new one that does not work) which I am using to mark the spot (cause I left the marking buoy in the truck). While it seemed like forever, it was probably less than 10 minutes from top to bottom to top. And there she was, my beautiful camera, but was she still water tight and not broken from the fall? I open it up and find no water, so I plug in a new battery. She fires right up and I connect the wifi to watch on my phone (Bingo).

Went out filming the next day with the lens filter I had not been using. it does a much better job when the sun is out than without. Anyway here is most of the good footage from the trips except the surf video I have already posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBd1nmVYyt0
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
jorluivil

I didn't see any footage of Merman

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I could just imagine how upset you were. Glad you got it back

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Great story Greg. I'm glad someone was able to step up and give you a hand. Lord knows you have stored up enough karma to deserve it.
Being a very analytical person I have to ask.... What did the whole episode cost you in time and fuel and incidentals. I'm sure you know hat the next question is.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Great story Greg. I'm glad someone was able to step up and give you a hand. Lord knows you have stored up enough karma to deserve it.
Being a very analytical person I have to ask.... What did the whole episode cost you in time and fuel and incidentals. I'm sure you know hat the next question is.
Worth every penny to me.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
theluckypig

well deserved greg!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
TJones

Bastard dogs

Can't fool em
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Cbad Mike

Thanks Greg for another excellent write up and video.
Glad ya got your camera back!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Great footage and even better story! Congrats on getting your toy back in working condition

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
blitzburgh

Cool story, cool video, cooler ending!