Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
TJones

need suggestions

i have a torqeedo motor that seems to have built up some salt water corrosion on contacts of main harness , the unit is a drop in for hobies. cost was about the same as yak . i failed at protecting contact points with some protectant . how or what do i spray at contact points to clean up ? or can someone recommend a professional ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Sdspeed

Baking soda/water solution will break-down the corrosion. Trick is to get everything clean and dry. I apply the solution with an old toothbrush, then flush with water, then dry with compressed air. Protect yourself from spray, especially your eyes. To clean/polish the contact surfaces I use: emery cloth or very fine sandpaper, a fine wire brush, small knife blade, pencil eraser. Once surfaces are dry and polished, I use an electrical contact paste to prevent future corrosion.

The trouble with this type of corrision is it will travel up/down insulated wires. So what you see and can clean look fine ,it's what you can't see that is continuing to corrode. we found this out the hard way when we had commercial trucks and trailers in 4 feet of saltwater at the Port of galveston during the last big hurricane,.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
DanaPT

This stuff works pretty well. Little spray on a tooth brush, brush and wipe down the gear.

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
You might also try "Break Free" I learned to use this to clean reels when I worked at a tackle shop. Spritz, let soak for a while an corroded screws would come loose without a problem. I don't see why this wouldn't' work on insulated wires, spray a little on the wires let it run down into the insulation (hang it up by the wires overnight for thorough penetration, spritz a little more the next day and scrub with a toothbrush and it should clean most of the rust off.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
TJones

Thx everyone

Learning experience. I didn't know about electrical grease . Found out the hard way. Fish finder, motor.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote