Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Mahigeer

FYI, from Sportfishing Conservancy.

FYI, From Sportfishing Conservancy
>>
>>
Last week, Tom Raftican and April Wakeman of The Sportfishing Conservancy attended the DFG Commission meeting in Fortuna, CA where April Wakeman made a request for the Commssion to consider putting the request for digital licenses into the regulatory change so that once the technology is available to make this happen, it can be quickly implemented. Below is the text of her "ask" to the Commissioners:>>
>>
"My name is April Wakeman representing The Sportfishing Conservancy. We sponsor the Sanctuary Classic, a photo-fishing contest in the National Marine Sanctuaries; the annual No Motor Fishing Tournament benefiting the Carpinteria Salt Marsh. I'll add that we wrote the language and created the idea of the Warden, I guess now Wildlife Officer Stamp - everyone here should buy one - and we distribute the PCH Cards. PCH stands for Poachers Can't Hide, they remind sportsmen to use CalTIP and what facts will be important to help our Wildlife Officers catch Poachers and Polluters. >>
>>
We are also the organization that asked you, the Commission, to change the requirement that fishermen 'display' or 'wear' their licenses while fishing. All anglers appreciate that change that allows us to keep our licenses in our wallets, tackle boxes, or wherever. >>
>>
Now, when we ask anglers what they'd like to see they have another license request – is it possible to have digital licenses like your Southwest Airlines Boarding Pass, so a license can be displayed on an iPhone, Android, or other electronic device.>>
>>
We understand that there are issues. We also commend the Department for being forward looking as we understand that the Law Enforcement Division and Revenue Branch are already discussing how to accomplish this.>>
>>
So, my ask this morning is for the Commission to place the regulatory change that will allow digital licenses on their calendar so that once the technical details the regulations are in place and it can be readily implemented.>>
>>
We hope that the Commission will consider this and that in the near future all anglers will have an option to display their license in paper or electronic form.>>
>>
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
HobieScot

How nice would that be

No more having to remember your license when fishing on different boats using different gear and tackle boxes

Since I don't carry a wallet when I'm on my kayak or diving I don't have one single place to keep the license every time I fish

A digital copy on my phone would be a great improvement and would mean never forgetting it again as my phone goes with me in my life proof case no matter where I go on the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
mclanea

Not sure why they don't use biometrics for fishing license. A finger print reader is a couple bucks, would only need to remember a finger.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
skrilla

Already done. Had a buddy get checked the other day while fishing. He immeditately found out he forgot his fishing license. DFW said no problem, scanned his drivers license, saw he had a fishing license on file then let him go. Luck of the draw with that one though I'm sure.