Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
divotlab
Junior

Hobie Kayak Help/Advice

I am hoping one of the Hobie experts out there can help me out with a few questions. I currently have a Cobra Tandem Kayak and am thinking of making the switch from paddle to peddle. My questions are:
Does anyone fish a Hobie Tandem (Oasis or Outfitter) solo?
If so, is there a middle seat position, or do you peddle from the rear seat?
Finally, if I opt for a single, can the Hobie Outback take a second passenger?
I generally fish with my daughter who is 8 yrs old, but also fish solo when I get the chance. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
divotlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotlab View Post
I generally fish with my daughter who is 8 yrs old, but also fish solo when I get the chance. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
I would be very hard pressed to fit an 8 year old on my Outback, maybe if you get rid of any extra weight, only fished the bay, and didn't have a bait tank.

I am thinking the Pro Angler would work out fine but that is because it is a small human powered BOAT!
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatford View Post
I would be very hard pressed to fit an 8 year old on my Outback, maybe if you get rid of any extra weight, only fished the bay, and didn't have a bait tank.

I am thinking the Pro Angler would work out fine but that is because it is a small human powered BOAT!

The Pro Angler is more like a human powered battleship.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I have taken all 3 of my kids out on my quest its similar to a revo but no mirage drive. My oldest is 10. They all ride in the back behind me, bays only no bait tank, and scupper plugs in the back scuppers so their bottoms don't get wet. I also cut a pool noodle for them to sit on.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I would not attempt my child on my outback although it could be done.

With that in mind... 8 years old seems like a great age to start soloing in the bay with dad in tow... and it seems that a cobra tandem (similar hull to FND) would be a great solid platform for her to learn on. Then you can get your choice of the outback or revo for you. And you still have the ability to go out together under paddle power if you choose!

my 0.02

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have seen a couple guys, (usually large guys), out there single handing a tandem Hobie. I cannot comment on how well it works but if it were me, I would go with the Oasis for its lighter weight and potentially better handling when going solo.

There is one thing that could be a bonus if you end up catching something big. It looks like there would be a lot space to stack up some fish in the front passenger well on that very lucky day. I bet you could hold a big WSB plus a couple of yellows and even have room for a nice 'but without having to head to the beach.

We can dream, can't we?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
dorado50

There are dreamers and than there are.........doers!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
steveoh

I have taken my girls 4, 6, and 10yr old out on my outback...I put an old booster seat where the bait tank would go back to back and they are fine. The only thing is they tend to get their line caught on the rudder if I'm not paying attention to the current and the direction I'm steering...they have a blast!!!
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotlab View Post
I am hoping one of the Hobie experts out there can help me out with a few questions. I currently have a Cobra Tandem Kayak and am thinking of making the switch from paddle to peddle. My questions are:
Does anyone fish a Hobie Tandem (Oasis or Outfitter) solo?
If so, is there a middle seat position, or do you peddle from the rear seat?
Thanks
Greg
this thing started out about A TANDEM yak, what happened here
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
this thing started out about A TANDEM yak, what happened here
I guess I hijacked it with my post sorry Greg back to the tandem discussion

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
TCS

I started out with a sit inside tandem with the idea that my daughter would go with me sometimes. It was a good concept in terms of support for the purchase, but she only came out once. Now I have an Adventure and love it. Fishing is my time.

On a side note, I worked in a bike shop in LJ when I was in college. Whenever guys would come shopping for a Tandem we'd take bets on how long till he's back trying to sell it to us. It seems that tandem bikes are a very reliable predictor of divorce. Somewhere between marriage counseling and the private detectives they'd all end up in the bike shop...

Anyway...If I were you I'd buy a revolution and keep your current kayak. When your daughter wants to come along you put her in the revo and you paddle. My daughter is 12 now and can peddle the adventure on her own just fine.

Oh, and go to one of the OEX shops that has hobies with your kid and try them out.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

One of the reasons that Hobie now has dual controls in the Outfitter and Oasis is that sitting in front solo is just forward of center and is what they are recommending. I have yet to try this but have tried it from the rear seat and it does lift the bow. With the drive pushing from the center line it is not as big a deal as paddling, which causes the kayak to veer with every stroke.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
but have tried it from the rear seat and it does lift the bow.
Makes it look like you hauling a$$ though..

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I've owned a Tandem Outfitter since 2007 and have fished with my son and now my daughter. I can handle the Outfitter solo with no problem, but I found a better solution for going solo...... I bought another Hobie, -a Revo. Now it's a no -brainer which one to take solo.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
divotlab
Junior

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I read a post about using some weight in the front if using a tandem solo. The author said it leveled out the kayak nicely, which may be a good option. I'll keep you posted on what I end up with. Adding a single to the arsenal is a great idea but I'm not sure if I ready to pull the trigger on #2 just yet.
Greg
divotlab is offline   Reply With Quote