Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
richard67b

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

DROPPED OFF CONTAINER AT OEX OSIDE TODAY STILL IN CONTRUCTION.
NEED HELP ON BUYING FISHFINDER WITH GPS OOOOOR FISHFINDER AND A HANDHELD GPS.....

SENOR CAYAKERS COMMENT PLEASE THANK YOU

RICHARD
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Don't buy an HDS until lowrance can fix the crap they have out there!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
Don't buy an HDS until lowrance can fix the crap they have out there!
What happened to yours?
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

H/B 365ci has gps, good meter no trouble in the $3-400 range
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Without going into how bad their last update was...
Lowrance has had an issue with their maps; I.E. leaving the bathemetry and all details including satellite imagery of bottom details cut out of areas of their current maps... From the LaJolla point out 1/2 mile or so and up past solona beach. Even their main map at their head quarters is missing this information. Their engineers and customer service reps have both confirmed the issue is affecting all units, but failed to return several of our calls to, at the very least, explain this. Units as expensive as the HDS5, 7 and Elite 5 should have complete maps as they are advertised to with the Nautic insight. None of us should not have to go purchase the navionics after spending money for faulty software from Lowrance's Nautic insight. My Raymarine 545s, and the Garmin GPS units I own both have very detailed maps of the area.

Notice the loss of the pink bathemetry lines and spot depth markings in the area I mentioned above in the photo below.

Ignore the track log... nothin to see here.

Last edited by Handymansd; 08-16-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
jorluivil

Eagle Cuda 350.....

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Yep thought that might be the case. I hear about this problem happening a lot. C'mon Lowrance show us HDS owners some love.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
NY Fish Taco
Junior

Location: Port Washington, New York (No. Shore of Long Island, Nassau Co.)
Handyman -

Okay, now you've got me worried.

I just purchased an Elite 5 from OEX Mission Bay that is due to be shipped out to me with my new Stealth 14 in the coming days ahead. I hope there are no issues with this unit when I get it and start using it here in NY. I went with CJ's advice & opted for the Lowrance over the Humminbird and others as he said they tend to hold up much better than the others in saltwater environments... had not heard about these mapping issues until just now. Bummer...
NY Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Fish Taco View Post
Handyman -

Okay, now you've got me worried.

I just purchased an Elite 5 from OEX Mission Bay that is due to be shipped out to me with my new Stealth 14 in the coming days ahead. I hope there are no issues with this unit when I get it and start using it here in NY. I went with CJ's advice & opted for the Lowrance over the Humminbird and others as he said they tend to hold up much better than the others in saltwater environments... had not heard about these mapping issues until just now. Bummer...
It is no wonder that you have not heard of the mapping faults as the people selling them are more worried about the money they will get when you buy one. Lowrance is not exactly forthcoming either; It is not a new issue, nor should the people selling them be unaware of this, as we have been complaining about it on this particular board for almost a year now, and some other boards have similar threads... CJ is a great source of information and I do not think he would willingly steer someone in the wrong direction.
I have no idea about the maps in NY, but when some of the primary fishing grounds for yak fisherman here in Southern California are absent from their maps, and their carelessness about customer service and support; it makes you wonder about their commitment to being a quality product. I am sorry to make you wonder but I am pissed at spending that kind of money and having them tell me.... nothing. As for the unit itself I think Lowrance has the best unit out there for the money, great imaging, easy to use, and excellent unit for a kayak, however with bad customer service it does bring down the overall value of having a good unit.

just my 0.02.

Good Luck in NY and be sure to post your success for all of us to share with you!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
richard67b

thankyou all

I GUESS THAT IT'S GOOD TO HAVE A HANDHELD GPS AND F-F WITH GPS..
STILL WORKING 6 DAY WEEK TILL MIDDLE OF SEP. I CAN KAYING THEN.
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote