Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
monkyak
Junior

Recommendations for travel rods?

I will be going to Kauai for vacation. Anybody have travel rod recommendations? I Will be surf fishing with a spinning rod. Telescopic vs 3-4 piece? Thanks
monkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
blitzburgh

I own this one.
http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...ct/89494/71941
I have the medium (12-20 lb) and used it about a dozen times. Hauled in many bruiser Cabrilla with ease. It comes with a nice case too.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
grey zone

You can take most 2 piece rods as carry-ons. I have a 9' spinning rod that fits in a 57" Cabelas rod case. I have traveled with it as a carry-on 3 times, most recently was last August, and have never been asked to check it. If your rod of choice can fit in a case of this length you can put it in the overhead or better yet ask the attendant to put it in the coat closet.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkyak View Post
I will be going to Kauai for vacation. Anybody have travel rod recommendations? I Will be surf fishing with a spinning rod. Telescopic vs 3-4 piece? Thanks
Charkbait has a good selection of Travel Rods. A surf rod too.

Check out this link, there may be something you like.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm

If you want to check it out visit the shop here in San Diego on 3166 Midway Dr. 92110

BWE members get 10% off purchases.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkyak View Post
If your sticking to shore., I'd suggest a Kencor Magnaglass 9ft spinning rod with something a around a 10-20 pound rating.

You can catch a variety of small fish just casting krocodiles, but if you really want to have fun fish for Papio or smaller jacks under ten pounds

My favorite papio are bluefin trevally, small bright hard fighting jacks that hang around the reefs.

They love live bait and you can fish them with small goatfish under a cork. They come up and boil, knock them up out of the water, and slam them hard. It's a really fun way to fish.

The best place to fish them is down at Koloa landing off the point on the east side and you can get your baby goatfish on ultralight tackle using small chunks of squid back in the cove. On any given day there are usually a few locals there. Just watch them and do what they do.

You can also catch Popio and Ulau (larger Jacks) on plugs jigs and lures. Watch out for White Ulua (Giant Trevelly) as they can cruise through and clean your clock.

Here's something you might want to look at.

http://www.hawaiibeachcombers.com/ulua.html

There is some amazing fishing there. My largest jack from the shore is only about eight pounds, I've hooked bigger ones, but on light gear anything larger will probably rock you. I got a 137 pound YFT fishing on a 40 dollar a half day trip just two miles offshore, right up the beach from there and have seen huge Ulua boil on my baits, and 100 pound plus tuna crash right up to the reefs at Koloa.

If I was you I'd take La Jolla sized tackle and find a place where I could rent a kayak for a few days then launch at Koloa Landing and fish outside the reefs. It's a easy put in on the lee side of the Island and you could hook almost anything out there from huge jacks to tuna to even Marlin all within a short paddling distance from the launch.

At any rate good fishing to you. You're going to have a blast there.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
monkyak
Junior

Thanks

Mahalo all
monkyak is offline   Reply With Quote