Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Aaron&Julie

MLPA and shore/spear fishing

Can anyone give me the information on which MLPA closed areas to watercraft fishing, still allow shore and spear fishing?
I've got to say, nothing against divers, but if spear fishing is allowed in areas closed to kayakers, then that is one additional aspect of the MLPA that is royally screwed up!
If there is a single diver in an area and a single kayak, who are you going to bet is more likely to come away with a nice WSB, sheephead, or any other catch? My money is on the diver, so what's up with that?
Aaron
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
bellcon

Spearos worked HARD for everything they got
Just like us kayakers
they were our allies, they are our allies

We do not want to divide ourselves from our spearo brothers.
We make a helluva a team!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
lbsurf2ca

Swamis smca is open to shore fishing and spearing for whitesea bass. I used to freedive quite a bit in that area. It all stopped a year ago while paddle boarding and another time fishing. Ran into a couple GWS and haven't free dove since. That really freaked me out.

I believe swamis was supposed to be completely no take but it conflicted with San Elijo state Beach so they made provisions.

Some of my favorite spots to fish gone. One little area in particular always is holding halibut.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
If there is a single diver in an area and a single kayak, who are you going to bet is more likely to come away with a nice WSB, sheephead, or any other catch? My money is on the diver, so what's up with that?
Aaron
Really? Sorry charile but hook and line is much effective than spearing. Any Barney can hire a guide and catch a decent fish, not true for spearing.

You can shore fish at Swamis, I think the state parks fought for that one and spear pelagics

Swamis
*Recreational take by hook-and-line from shore is allowed.
*The recreational take of pelagic finfish, including Pacific bonito, and white seabass by spearfishing is allowed.
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
yakrider

these are the mainland closures that are closed to boats and kayak fishing but allow spear and or shore fishing:

Naples SMCA,
Point Dume SMCA,
Abalone Cove SMCA,
Swami's SMCA
these are open to spear fishing only for pelagic finfish, bonito, and white cbass

Bolsa Bay SMCA
allows fishing from shore in designated areas

Upper Newport Bay SMCA
San Dieguito Lagoon SMCA
allows fishing from shore only

http://www.savecafishing.org/
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
mbaha

Which reserve allows hook and line pelagic but does not allow spearing?
Oh wait that is South La Jolla

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the recreational take of pelagic finfish, including Pacific bonito, by hook-and-line only is allowed.

Now why would hook and line be allowed but spearing would not.
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Spearos worked HARD for everything they got
Just like us kayakers
they were our allies, they are our allies

We do not want to divide ourselves from our spearo brothers.
We make a helluva a team!
X2

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Hey guys/gals,
Like I said, I've nothing against spear fishermen, if they were granted areas that kayakers can no longer fish, more power to them. They are on our side, I get THAT. I'm just saying, and speaking from over 40 years of experience on saltwater, it was spear-fishermen and a few private boaters back in the 70s that were the reason BSB went off-limits to us all.
I remember a particular couple who used to fish Catalina for Blacks exclusively back in the 70s, from a private boat. I can't tell you how many they killed alone (lots), but their pictures were in WON sometimes weekly with Blacks they caught. It was disgraceful.
And I'm not trying to imply that either spear, or kayak, or even private boat fishermen aren't screwed with MLPA, we all are. If you believe a single kayaker has a better chance than a spear fisherman, more power to you. I don't dive. If I did, I certainly imagine my chances are better scoring. Divers, don't take this personally.
The main reason, I asked was to find out if I could still fish the location from shore at South Laguna I started fishing 35 years ago. The stories I could tell...just a hint...almost every person I brought to this location, needed rescue...1st time, my brother and mother, I carried them, and all the tackle, all at the same time, across the channel at high tide, to shore, from the island we waded to at low tide. Sue, my previous girlfriend, a Lifeguard had to take her across the same channel on a long board, while I struggled across in neck high water with all the gear, as waves came in on both sides of the island. With Julie, we pushed the limits to how far we could fish on the end of this island, went to the end, and got nailed by a wave that knocked us both into a channel. I swam/drug her back to the island, and somehow we managed not to lose our gear. It would be great to know I can still fish this place, for some more fond memories

So, please no pissing wars, here. I just want to know what areas that are closed to kayakers, yet can still be fished from shore, or even divers.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
yakrider

all maps and regulations are here
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scmpas_list.asp

http://www.savecafishing.org/
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
PAL

If you want to know why spear fishing is allowed for pelagic (migratory) fish in some MPAs where hook and line for the same species is prohibited, it isn't difficult to understand if you pull some mental gymnastics. The MLPA is about habitat, and protecting sedentary reef fish. Every Packard-funded egghead knows indiscriminate hook and line fishing rapes reefs clean - even if you're flinging surface iron for yellows. Spear fishing is targeted, ideally one shot, one kill. Even the MLPAI biologists eventually admitted a rockfish looks nothing like a white sea bass.

The same ridiculous thinking was behind the near-banning salmon trolling gear up north, because MLPAI scientists who know-nothing about fishing were apoplectic about incidental rockfish take.

We can get neck deep in the weeds on this stuff if you want. The BS is a quick trip to migraine land.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Seahunterr
Junior

Well said! Spearing is not as easy as it looks, or you can imagine. The MLPA is not fair to anyone, we all got screwed.

Last edited by Seahunterr; 01-06-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Seahunterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Billy V

Awe... Its gunna be fine.

You guys just need some casting structions.

.. Now pay attention class ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vJ_qSr_2RI