Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
shawny

Seal Beach Pier - Corbina

First of all, hello everybody! My first post on BWE...been reading up on this awesome forum a lot recently - BWE is such a great resource and community. So, I'm an avid pier and surf fisherman, but not a kayak fisherman just yet..but hoping to get there soon with the help of BWE I'll be studying/working in LJ the next few years so hopefully my close location to the LJ kelp will motivate me to start yakkin!

Went fishing two days ago at Seal Beach Pier with some out-of-town friends visiting SoCal. I've actually never been fishing at SB Pier.. usually prefer Huntington Beach pier fishing, where the barred/walleye surfperch and yellowfin croakers are plenty. SB Pier was a shot in the dark. My buddies and I decided to bike to Seal Beach Pier from where I live (about a 10 mile ride) with fishing poles collapsed and strapped on our backpacks. Was a great ride!

No dice with the Berkeley saltwater sandworms. Mussels worked much better. It was around low tide, and the corbina came out to feed. I've got to say...I had 0 faith in Seal Beach Pier and expected nothing. But lo and behold, we look down into the water and see a group of 3 corbina swimming super close to the surface. Five minutes later, a group of 6 corbina. Soon after, a group of 12 corbina. Nuts!

It was a pretty good day, considering we all expected to get our excitement from the bike ride and not the fishing. Cheers!

PS: Anybody whose tried California Corbina know how it tastes in comparison to WSB? Never tried WSB before But I heard Corbina and WSB are closely related Croakers, so just wondering if they taste similarly!

PPS: If anybody needs any tips pier fishing or surf fishing, feel free to ask me! I'm more than happy to help.
Attached Images

shawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Fiskadoro

Corbina have a lot more oil in the meat then Seabass. Taste good to me.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
StinkyMatt

Welcome to the forum.

Great post, you analytical fisherman you. You'll fit right in with this strange crowd.

Nice fish.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Nice work and sweet illustration!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i've used beans that small for bait a few times.

they usually make a better filet close to 20". preferably 22-24"
although i remember this guy tasting delicious over brown rice

get on the sand bro and go catch some bigger fish!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

thanks for the report...welcome to the asylum, I surf fish a bit when I can't get out on the yak, I love catching beans, and they are good eating, but then again if you like fish, like we do, barred surf perch are quite tasty too...thanks for the
illustration for when to catch...I have been threatening to surf fish down there, but if I am down that way I will be in the yak, maybe this summer I will give it a try...see ya on the sand
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
shawny

Nice fish, lowprofile! When I catch smaller Corbina I usually like to steam them Chinese-cuisine style w/ some homemade soy sauce concoction + green onions + ginger + hot peppers, mmm (two footers don't fit in the pan..) I like to make some ginger Corbina soup sometimes too! All good eatin'. Will definitely try out the sand, though - thx for the suggestion!

You guys use real of fake bait for catchin' beans? Those guys are super picky.
shawny is offline   Reply With Quote