Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
echo1er

Sabiki Q:

So the only time I used one was off Oceanside pier. Great return on bait. A lot of you have given advice and say cut it down to only having three hooks. Now my question is what size and brand do you use when you go out in a kayak?

I use hayabusa sabiki bait rigs from a size 6-10. Catching anything from croaker, sometimes little calico and your basic bait fish (on a pier)

2nd Question: how do you deal with your bait once caught. Meaning you have sabiki and you catch only one out of three hooks. Is there a technic to be used.

Thanks in advance.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Deefeesha

It is said to keep the sabiki in the water with a fish still on, so that it attracts more bites, therefore increasing your chances of having a fish on each hook.

However, to me, more fish equals bigger mess. Esp. with 6 razor sharp hooks.
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
So the only time I used one was off Oceanside pier. Great return on bait. A lot of you have given advice and say cut it down to only having three hooks. Now my question is what size and brand do you use when you go out in a kayak?

I use hayabusa sabiki bait rigs from a size 6-10. Catching anything from croaker, sometimes little calico and your basic bait fish (on a pier)

2nd Question: how do you deal with your bait once caught. Meaning you have sabiki and you catch only one out of three hooks. Is there a technic to be used.

Thanks in advance.
I use the cheapo Ahi sabiki's from Big-5, or sometimes I just make my own with some colorful yarn when I've got some downtime at home. Size 6 works for me. As far as how many hooks? I like using the five that they come with, but that's just a personal preference. I don't mind the extra mess they make, and usually they end up being down to three after a relatively short while anyway. To me, I wouldn't want to start with three for this reason.

As far as dealing with the baits once caught, I take piece of coat hanger that I bend a "U" in at the end and slide it down the line to the hook and dangle the bait over the bait tank. Works like a charm.

If you're only catching 1 at a time, let the sabiki "load up". Once you feel the bite of a mack, give it a couple of seconds and slowly reel up, and usually you'll pick up another bait or two.

Ok, a question you didn't ask, but one worth asking is, "I've hooked multiple baits, which one do I take off first?" The answer to this, i.m.o., is to take off the top one first and work your way down.

Now, grab yourself a can of wet cat food and go paddle out to some lettuce and catch yourself some nice baits!
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefeesha View Post

However, to me, more fish equals bigger mess. Esp. with 6 razor sharp hooks.
exactly what he said. if i get a bite, i reel it up and take the fish off immediately. i've tried to let the sabiki sit and get more bites... and it happens. and i pull up a giant glob of a mess.

also.. what sabiki do i use? the cheapest one possible. with size 6-8 hooks. baitfish are not picky and they'll hit anything shiny with a piece of squid on it.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post

Thanks in advance.
I have the Ahi sabiki rod cut down to 5 feet, 3 hooks on my sabiki 20# main line 10-15# on the hooks. Hayabusa or Owner. I bought two packs a few weeks back at the tackle swapmeet in HB, Rodtek brand, after I got home I noticed the line had nicks on both the main and the hooks, tossed em. I usually put some unibutter on the hooks too then drop it to the bottom and wind up at a steady rate.

As for what to do with the bait 1 or 3, it goes into the bait tank then on a hook then in a WSB mouth, pretty simple.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
CheapPelican

Cutting it in half makes it more manageable. I'll just lay the rig in he foot well. Since the hooks aren't barbed the bait almost always spit the hook. Pick em up toss em in the tank.

Add a drop or procure to each hook. It's cheaper and stays on longer than unibutter. Bait aren't pickey.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefeesha View Post
It is said to keep the sabiki in the water with a fish still on, so that it attracts more bites, therefore increasing your chances of having a fish on each hook.
This is very true.
when I see I have only one bait fish on there I just drop it back down in the water to where I seen the bait chasing the one that is on there.
With the one bait on there I see it makes your jig seem way more lively.
Now for getting it off I will drop the whole rig in my bait tank, sinker and all, due to sometimes they are bairly hooked.
Once in the bait tank then you can take them off easier and more safely then having free hooks to dig into flesh or clothes.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
echo1er

Now for the Hobie owners. Stevo once made a thread of his new IA and took off the mesh side pockets. Has any else had that problem with sabiki getting stuck on there. I know sabiki gets hook on everything but trying to make things easier for a bait run.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Redeyejedi

has anyone gotten hit by a wsb while retrieving a sabiki rig?
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
hiramehunter

I caught(snagged ) a good size bat ray on a sabiki rig once!
I thought I caught a or a !!!!
It was fun reeling it in but I was pretty dissapointed at the end.
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
wbrewski

I also sqash the barbs down, that way when you get a hook in the finger it comes right out also out of yor clothing.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
taggermike

Some times I end up hooked more with the sabiki hooks that the baits. I've found most sabikis work about the same so now I use the cheapest ones I can find in the smallest size they have. I've wanted to use them cut in 1/2 but I use them at full length with all the hooks. As for handling multiple baits, just do the best you can. 3-5 macks going ape, some in the air, some on the deck, some in your lap, and the empty hooks stuck in your hand. Good times right there. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
TJones

hobie mesh

i removed one side . i copied this off someone else. i wont mention names. ya if hooks get stuck there , you are screwed. i also tried cutting down sibiki, the only bad thing is , if you loose a hook or two , you are now screwed . best thing is to just deal with the cluster hump of 5 macs going ape shet. also a heavy main is good , in the event of a yellow hookup. . but i wouldnt know , hopefully i will find out before the year is up what it is like to catch a fish.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
PE.rider

Talking

Try to have at least a selection of sabiki types and sizes. You never know what you are going to run across and what they are feeding on. Fish can be finicky. I always have a selection of plain lucky luras, ebi-shrimp patterns, and squid-look-alikes. Always go with a heavier leader as the lighter fluorocarbons break very easily.

Furthermore, make sure you have a sinker on the end that is heavy enough to keep the rig vertical. Otherwise, you are asking for tangles if the baitfish decide to do a square dance up and down, resulting in a mean tangle.

Lastly, a sure-fire way to ensure bites is to tip the hooks with squid or shrimp. I also agree with the others who have said that having more hooks is better...
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
echo1er

Got this sabiki Rod at Oceanside Dive and kayak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0001.jpg (30.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Good call on getting the sabiki rod.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
echo1er

yeah this thing works great. Caught a croaker with this off the pier.
Funny story.

Guy on pier "what the fuck is that?!"
me " you know what a sabiki rod is?"
Guy on pier "yes... but what is that...?"
me " a sabiki rod sir"
Guy on pier "where are the eye guides."
me " there is none"
Guy on pier "where is the line?
me "in the sabiki rod"
Guy on pier"how bout if it breaks?
me "I tie a new one on."
Guy on pier "what is this rod called, I have fish before you where born and I never heard of it."
Me "Its a a lifesaber"
Guy on pier...walks off.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #18
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

My daughterand her lightsaber.
BEKAHS FISH FULL.jpg