Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Anyone have pics of their Yakattack gear trac setups?

Ive been recently eyeballing these and I seen another post about them and a few more alternatives that has me interested. I have 2 Malibu Stealth 12s that Im getting ready to add rod holders and fish finders to and Yak Attack so far seems the way to go. Not the cheapest so I'm still debating and was hoping to see somebody else's rigs and what their using with these types of setups.

Here is were Im having the most difficulty about the decision if this helps.

Ive scoured YouTube and the YakAttack site and seen their products but for some reason Im confused on which types of rod holders will work for this setup and how they actually fit or what do I have to buy to make them fit on the track.

The YakAttack site does a good job of displaying their products but I feel it doesn't show the final picture of complete setups with rod holders and ff and what is actually needed to attach them to the track. Maybe Im just missing something or maybe they do not want to be biased towards a manufacture.

But anyhow if anyone that can share some pics and maybe even some insight on which rod holders work best with this setup that would be awesome!

Im sure their is a lot of other guys wondering the same thing. Maybe the guys from OEX can post some pics of installs and setups they done to give some of us newbies some insight. I believe they will probably sell more too for the guys that haven't seen the gear tracks yet.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Here you go, here is my gear track with scotty orca rod holder, mounted with a 241L and mighty mounts, and downrigger

Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Perfect that clearly explains it a lot better! Thanks again Ful-rac

Im getting ready to pull the trigger this weekend.

Anybody else care to share their setups?
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
danjor

I have a set I just haven't had time to put it on my yak. It looks like a very well built system, can't wait to use it.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Baja_Traveler

Here's another PA14 - the day I installed them. I now have rod holders on each side in addition to the FF.

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
The Nothing
Junior

I've got gear tracs on pretty much everything but my IK at this point

Only thing to worry about:
If you use RAM mounts, you don't want to run the rod off the left side of the kayak while trolling. It'll torque things counter-clockwise and, well, useless.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nothing View Post
I've got gear tracs on pretty much everything but my IK at this point

Only thing to worry about:
If you use RAM mounts, you don't want to run the rod off the left side of the kayak while trolling. It'll torque things counter-clockwise and, well, useless.
That's one of those things you don't think about until your Mac gets bit by a nice yellow and your whole rod holder and pole smacks you in the face lol
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
FishNinjaY

wow.. these look very clean, and versatile. I'll have to check them out. Do they install with SS bolts? or plastic pop rivets?
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
wow.. these look very clean, and versatile. I'll have to check them out. Do they install with SS bolts? or plastic pop rivets?
They come with very cool stainless threaded screws made for plastic, and even the correct sized drill bit.

Interesting observation on the Ram mounts! I wouldnt have thought of that - good thing I decided on the Scotty Gear Track adapters - works awesome.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Scotty Orcas/geartrack

The scotty rod holders on the gear track are the shit. Ive had rods in the holder get bit by almost everything halibut , seabass, blacks, yellows...rods going full bendo...drag peel'n... What's nice about the scotty orca is that when you get bit and your rod loads up it doesn't get pinned to the holder, just grab the rod and either twist or lift and it comes right out.