Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Comanche

SH HX851 vs Uniden Mystic

I am looking at VHF's with GPS and these were the two that seemed to stand out from the rest. I found I could find both under $200 online. I want to find some more information before I buy. I think owning a vhf/gps would be great for lobster season.

So does anyone one here own any of the two?

Which one would you recommend?

Pro's? Con's?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
PE.rider

My suggestion is to invest more towards your FF and get a FF/GPS with Navionics maps.

If you have either an iphone or android phone, you already have GPS capability there. Just download an app for marine navigation (GPS, waypoints, compass, etc).

A good choice for a VHF radio is either the SH 1xx, 2xx, or 3xx floating series.
Alternately, the Cobra MR series is are fine too.

Don't forget that you will also be outfitting for a bait tank, battery box, etc for your Yak, so spend more on the things that will prove to be more useful.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE.rider View Post
My suggestion is to invest more towards your FF and get a FF/GPS with Navionics maps.

If you have either an iphone or android phone, you already have GPS capability there. Just download an app for marine navigation (GPS, waypoints, compass, etc).

A good choice for a VHF radio is either the SH 1xx, 2xx, or 3xx floating series.
Alternately, the Cobra MR series is are fine too.

Don't forget that you will also be outfitting for a bait tank, battery box, etc for your Yak, so spend more on the things that will prove to be more useful.

A combo FF/GPS unit is the ultimate ticket. Even if you decide to get a lower end unit like an Eagle Cuda you'll be amazed at how much a GPS help. As far as the VHF radio goes whatever you do make sure you put a leash on that thing, just because it says it floats doesn't mean it'll float.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=float

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
JarrodMc

I got a Standard Horizon HX851 VHF and it works great and the battery lasts me all day out on the water. It has built in GPS and you can save waypoints. But like the other guys already said, a FF/GPS unit is the way to go
Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Baja_Traveler

I have a West Marine VHF 460 (made by Standard Horizon). 6 watts, floats, and has the highest waterproof rating (IPX8 submersible). I didn't find out it had GPS until I got it home.
I think GPS would be great if I found myself in a world of hurt, separated from my kayak in the water, but other than that there are better options for a GPS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote