Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
YakAttak

Battery life

Hi all.
I've picked up an PSG battery from OEX Sunset.
It's a 12v, 10amp. It will be running my bait-tank pump and Hummingbird fishfinder.
To those who have had experience with kayak battery, I'm just wondering, averagely, how long should a battery like this should last me. I haven't have a chance to get out and test it yet so I'm just at work wondering.
Thank you very much.
Dylan
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Siebler

Battery life is going to greatly depend on what fishfinder you are running along with the settings, backlight, etc. If you can provide the model and all you can probably find the estimated draw of the unit and be able to figure the amount of hours itll last with your tank.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
jorluivil

Save yourself the heartache and get a solo battery for your bait tank, you won't regret it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
GregAndrew

Bait pumps can have substantially different draws too. Each unit should have information on the draw in amps or ma (1/1000th of an amp). You have 10amps or 10,000 ma to draw from (roughly). I agree though that with that battery you are better off running a separate 6v battery for the pump. 12 volts to the pump will create it's own set of problems for kayak tanks.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
usmp06
Shark Bait

so what would be a good battery for the built in bait tank on a stealth 12? is a 12V to big to run it?
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Siebler

The Pump we use in the Stealth has a 1.8 amp draw

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
usmp06
Shark Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
The Pump we use in the Stealth has a 1.8 amp draw
So a 12v would be ok to use to run it?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I ran a 12v to my bait tank but I think it's too much waterflow for a small bait tank, I had to turn the water outlet valve way down. I changed to a dedicated 6v battery for it, even then I'm still turning the outlet down but I've got all day use for both ff and bait tank, plus I can run 12v led lights now too if I want. I've been out 8 hours at a time and have not had any low battery power problems.

To answer your question, yes you can run 6v or 12v to your bait tank pump.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
YakAttak

Thanks guys.
I've just looked up the specs of the FF and pump.
The hummingbird 596c FF amp draw is 400ma, and the bilge pump for the custom bait tank amp draw is 1.4-1.8 (not sure why the number is so much different and what it means ).
But if one battery is enough to last me 6-7 hrs session then I'll be happy. If not then maybe I'll need to add another 6v for the tank alone.
I have an old kayak and limited space to I'd like to minimize as much as possible.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
YakAttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Bait pumps can have substantially different draws too. Each unit should have information on the draw in amps or ma (1/1000th of an amp). You have 10amps or 10,000 ma to draw from (roughly). I agree though that with that battery you are better off running a separate 6v battery for the pump. 12 volts to the pump will create it's own set of problems for kayak tanks.
Thanks, would you mind stating what kind of problem I will be running at if ran both the bilge pump and fishfinder with the 12v, 10amp battery?

Please note I'm just pumping a water to a 5g bucket with an overflow outlet with a bilge pump because I won't have the budget for the bait-tank built for kayak.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
easyday

I run a 12v 10amp battery for my fish finder and bait tank and it's running about 7 hours. I always take a 2nd 12v out with me and have to switch over sometimes. I am deff switching to a stand alone 6v for my bait pump.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
TJones

agree with above

like the users above mentioned . separate your power sources . they are speaking from experience . the stock hobie bait tank uses a tsunami bilge pump that pumps 500 gallons per minute . they have two options on batteries . standard 6 vlt 8amp ,and heavy duty 10 amp . standard batter may last 6- 8 hours and the 10 amp will get through a whole session day and night . .a 10 amp 12 vlt batter should power most 5 inch f/f all day . good luck .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Sorry Tjones means 500 GPH.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakAttak View Post
Thanks, would you mind stating what kind of problem I will be running at if ran both the bilge pump and fishfinder with the 12v, 10amp battery?

Please note I'm just pumping a water to a 5g bucket with an overflow outlet with a bilge pump because I won't have the budget for the bait-tank built for kayak.
As mentioned, a 12 battery will pump too much water for a small bait tank, so you will have to restrict either the current or water flow. Also, with the specs you mentioned, you will draw about 2amps per hour (it is actually more at the beginning and less at the end) so I would not expect the battery to last 5 hours. I would suggest a 6v 12a battery for the bait tank. They are inexpensive and readily available at most electronics stores, and will last you all day.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
YakAttak

Looks like a 6v and separate 12v is the way to go. It's very clear to me now.
Thanks guys. Never own a kayak, let alone a fishing kayak. Learned many things here from knowledgable and experienced kayak anglers.
Hope to have my first report up soon
Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Save yourself the heartache and get a solo battery for your bait tank, you won't regret it.
X2, DITTO
MY HOBIE tank runs on it's own battery and then I have a 12V 10amp for my fishfinder and through hull squid light I intend to install later with the OEX cockpit deck lighting . this way if one battery goes out I always have the other.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
usmp06
Shark Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I ran a 12v to my bait tank but I think it's too much waterflow for a small bait tank, I had to turn the water outlet valve way down. I changed to a dedicated 6v battery for it, even then I'm still turning the outlet down but I've got all day use for both ff and bait tank, plus I can run 12v led lights now too if I want. I've been out 8 hours at a time and have not had any low battery power problems.

To answer your question, yes you can run 6v or 12v to your bait tank pump.
Thanks!