Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
tacmik

Support your local Kayak shop

This happened to us this weekend
« Thread Started on Jun 18, 2013, 10:22pm »

Before I write anymore, I would like to point out that this is firstly my first post. That secondly, I am posting here to spread the word about the safety implications on cheaper chinese imported kayaks. Thirdly, this is a true story about events this weekend. Fourthly, my husband is not an experienced pro like many of you may be, he's just started out and although he goes kayaking with someone experienced who can teach him actual method, he relied heavily on a seller to sell him something fit for purpose and seaworthy.
And lastly, if you want to make any ill remark against me and my husband, then do it bearing in mind that we have been through a pretty horrendous four days; I thought my husband was dead. I'm not going to appreciate some attitudes, I'm sure, but I'm not here for advice, I am here to ensure this never happens again. I guess that word of mouth about these things is one way to start.

My husband bought a kayak online three or four weeks ago (a seller on Ebay, one with good feedback and many sales of kayaks and kayak related gear). This kayak is a mass produced Chinese model. On it's first trip onto the water, one of the reel holders came off leaving a gaping hole in the kayak. My husband contacted the seller who sent him a new rod holder and rivets. My husband fixed it on carefully, mindful of ensuring it was sealed in.

The following are his words over what happened this weekend on his second trip out in this kayak:

"The sea conditions worsened and a decision was made to return to shore. My fishing line became tangled up on the buoy as I paddled back in my open top kayak. The kayak capsized, due to my line being tangled up. At this point there was nobody around to help me. My two-way radio (the other one being ashore with my partner) was unable to work as it became waterlogged; it would only send static. At this point I was trying to right the kayak as it had overturned. I turned it the right way up and cut the fishing line which by now was also tangled around me. One rod holder was missing (a different one to the one I had fixed) Panic set in fully when my open top kayak started to sink. The more I tried to get back into it, the more it sank. Eventually, the kayak was horizontal in the water, with just the tip end out of the water. I was in the water for around thirty minutes in rough sea swallowing water. Only my buoyancy aid kept me afloat and despite wearing a wetsuit I was becoming extremely cold and losing my energy. At this point I thought I would die and never see my family again.
I saw my friend suddenly appear from nowhere in his kayak. He came to me and told me that the coastguard had been called. It was stipulated to the third person on shore (who was communicating with my friend via their radio, and coastguard via mobile phone), that he must under no circumstances try to get me out of the water, but he told me help was on its way. At this point I was losing consciousness on and off as my friend kept on talking to me whilst keeping me clinging to his kayak side. By now my kayak could no longer be seen as it was submerged completely. Please note, this should not happen to an open topped kayak. Around 53 or 54 minutes from the beginning of the incident, a Sea King helicopter appeared overhead and rescued me from the water by winchman. My friend was exhausted from the ordeal of the past half an hour; he had paddled frantically to find me then fought in rough seas to keep me with his kayak, and no longer had the energy to return to shore. The coastguards / lifeboat brought him in. They said that had my friend not found me and stayed with me, I would have been dead. I am very thankful to my friend and all the men and women involved with my rescue. "

The kayak nearly caused my husbands death. We had the kayak given back to us, the lifeboat brought it into shore for safety reasons. The design and manufacture is such, that upon inspection today, the remaining three rod holders pulled straight out when a broom handle was pushed into the cup (including the replacement that my husband riveted back into place using supplied rivets). The gaping hole left by a rod holder which needed only a simple capsize to come loose, allowed this kayak to fill up with water and sink. The rivets are next to useless.

The seller has sold thousands of these kayaks.

He gave us a refund for the kayak and offered to pay for all the lost equipment, something that he hasn't so far kept to his word with. The kayak went back to him today to be 'investigated' so all we are left with are pictures, video, and some extremely nasty memories which will stay with us for life. It's not much recompense for what has happened but we will use it to help others, none the less.

We want people to be aware of the safety issues of mass chinese imports; we do not want this to happen again.

That's why I am posting this here, on a forum with a good reputation.

And to finish - no, he hasn't been put off completely... but he plans to spend an awful lot more on another kayak and the next one won't be a cheap chinese import.

Report to Mod - Link to Post - Back to Top Logged

This did not happen to me. Happened to someone down under. This is why you buy from a reputable, Local, dealer.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Wow

Being a new kayak fisherman, I can only imagine how that could feel. Glad he survived the ordeal and glad I went with a Hobie. Nice and local. Incredible moving story!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
CKallday71

Even though I bought my Kayak used from a BWE member I buy ALL my extra gear and any work done on my Yak at OEX in Sunset Beach. Andy (aka Iceman) is so cool and does awesome work and in my opinion has absolutely GREAT prices on gear.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

wow.
That is scary.
Thanks for sharing.
Glad that person was OK.

It is sad, these cheap whatever brand you want kayaks produced in China are out there...

The worst is that the people are buying them, cheap price is too appealing. But it's jut not smart to get out there on the open ocean in something that is not designed or manufactured rigorously to make sure it stays afloat. I get these "Dear Sir we have these kayaks cheap let's sell 'em..." emails on a daily bases. Probably the same guys that write these spam bots to sell phones on forums.

Trusted brands are trusted brands, they take their product seriously and understand the importance of keeping us afloat. The popular brands have tons of hours on the water, they are tried. Crap still happens, but when it does - they recognize the problem, fix it, make it better.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
This info needs to make national headlines. In the back of most people's minds, they know that Chinese made products have their issues but purchase those items because it falls within their budget as mentioned by Adi (aka Lambadmin). This should be forwarded & addressed by the CPSC (consumer products safety commission.)
My $.02
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Inexperienced kayaker,
out alone,
open top kayak,
rough seas,
aware of faulty rod holders...

Yea horrible that this happened, but he almost earned a Darwin Award.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Inexperienced kayaker,
out alone,
open top kayak,
rough seas,
aware of faulty rod holders...

Yea horrible that this happened, but he almost earned a Darwin Award.
operator error is always a variable and seems like poor judgement here, I think that "open top" means sit on top not sit in side. Glad there was no tragic ending here.

I get asked alot what is different about our kayaks than Cosco at 1/2 the price. Engineering and design quality and durability. Sounds like $.02 may have been saved on each shorter rivet here, compromising quality and safety.