Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
usmp06
Shark Bait

Top shot or no top shot?

What is recommended when fishing swim baits with braid? Do you tie straight braid to the jig head or do you use a top shot? Noob question I am sure but just curious to see what you guys would recommend.
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
easyday

I use a top shot jist in case they are feeling line shy. It has worked for me, But being a noob myself I cant give a definitive answer
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
echo1er

I use both. Top shot on deep water and in bays I some time go all braid. I mix it up from time to time. Different day different kind of bite
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
I use both. Top shot on deep water and in bays I some time go all braid. I mix it up from time to time. Different day different kind of bite
X2

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
usmp06
Shark Bait

Thanks guys!
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
taggermike

I don't like casting knots through the quides so I use a 3-5 foot fluoro topsot or leader om all my outfits. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Question

A little piece of mono or flouro is good to make that section stretch a little when getting a nice bite. If you're tied straight to braid there is essentially no stretch so you can actually miss some fish due to pulled hooks. On the other hand , less knots is always better . Also when fishing lots of kelp don't make top shot too long because you can break off on the topshotted section .
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
FishNinjaY

do people use modified alrbright knot? or do some people use a swivel?
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
TJones

are you thread jacking ?

i use the same knot when i am tying top shot to braid . one modification , after cinching down knot , i tie one overhand knot with braid to prevent slippage, two is recommended with heavier line . obviously there are stronger knots , i.e. bob sands , but they are more complicated . the knot you are referring to is easy to tie . is strong , and for what we are doing , i think is sufficient . considering we are on a kayak , how much drag are we putting on a fish ? 12 lbs is a lot . 20 lbs is putting the hurt on , and 22 or 25 lbs is probably the max of a very expensive reel . i used this knot in the winter on some big black sea bass down at lJ , using 50 top and 65 braid . these fish were hunkered down in the kelp and weighed 85 - 120 lbs . i had know problem yanking them out straight , some with in ten to fifteen minutes . with no knot failures . i would think this knot is capable of 85 % line strength ? one hundred , i doubt .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I don't like casting knots through the quides so I use a 3-5 foot fluoro topsot or leader om all my outfits. Mike

x2

I always use an albright knot between flour and braid
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
taggermike

For joining braid to fluoro or mono I have good success using a back to back uni knot. Its fast for me to tie, is on the small side, and has held well for me. I've used the Tony Pena, worm, Albright, and reverse Albright but end up sticking with the uni uni. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
For joining braid to fluoro or mono I have good success using a back to back uni knot. Its fast for me to tie, is on the small side, and has held well for me. I've used the Tony Pena, worm, Albright, and reverse Albright but end up sticking with the uni uni. Mike
Double uni here it's the only knot I can tie and know that works.
Carp is offline   Reply With Quote