Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
SorryCharlie

DP Saturday and Sunday

Hit Dana point harbor on Saturday (rod and reel) and Sunday (spearing) off the kayak, so here is a short report.

Saturday:
Some old coworkers were in town and wanted to try kayak fishing for the first time. Loaded up and met them at the harbor around 8.

Picked up a scoop of chovies on the way out, but they looked rather beat up and not very lively. After about 45 minutes in the bait tank 75% had died.... and the others were soon to join them.

Headed up North to the point, conditions were a bit rough for my buddies, but we made it out without any accidental swimming sessions (much to my dismay). Tried bottom fishing for some sheepies and ended up catching 5 legal females between us, all which got to swim back down to their man (who we were trying to catch).

For about 15 minutes the sun came out and the calicos were on, caught about 6-7 in 15 minutes, but once the sun went away so did the calicos... Off the water around 3.

Sunday:
Launch around 7 and was out to my diving spots around the point at 8. Once I jumped in conditions looked awesome, nice vis (15+ ft), bait mooching about and a few rays joining them gliding about the kelp.

Spent about 5 hours diving between 25-55 ft, but could not find my target species..... OOOO well I guess that is why they are called the ghost. Did end the day with a nice 4-5 lb calico, while I typically leave calicos alone while diving, this one was begging me to shoot it towards the end of my day.

Sorry no pictures, I seem to have misplaced my Go-pro......
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
GregAndrew

HTML Code:
Sorry no pictures, I seem to have misplaced my Go-pro......
I hate when that happens!! Especially in 85' of water. Of course the surf line is not much better.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote