Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
jorluivil

Spring Maintenance

Yeah, I know its not until the 20th but its time to start checking those connectors, screws, bolts, reels, fishing line and the wart that just won't go away.

Found this today

Replaced with a fresh one

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Spring

Get one of the spray cans of white lithium grease and spray both halves of all your electrical connectors and it will keep the green corrosion away and provide a better connection. Just my two cents.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
Get one of the spray cans of white lithium grease and spray both halves of all your electrical connectors and it will keep the green corrosion away and provide a better connection. Just my two cents.

10-4

I lost the one that I had many moons ago and never replaced, gonna get some later today

Old 03-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
I've had very good luck with the product below. The $20 can has lasted me over a year. I spray down down a pea sized amount on my connectors and pins to keep the corrosion in check. It is safe for plastic and works really well especially with the small pins on the fish finder plugs.

I also used it to clean up some rod guides.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/corros...04_129_004_507
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
TJones

Wow

I use same exact connections . Were you the one who emptied all the inventory off the shelf right before I got to store? At 1.99$ per connection I really can't blame you. On my last trip to Lj my meter would not power up . So I start checking things knowing I have a brand new battery fully charged . That's when I discovered same exact problem you have . I did on the water repair to get me through the day . I really dispise electrical issues on water . What do you guys use to make electrical connections ? Barrel connectors ? Or screw on connectors with some sealant ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I use same exact connections . Were you the one who emptied all the inventory off the shelf right before I got to store? At 1.99$ per connection I really can't blame you. On my last trip to Lj my meter would not power up . So I start checking things knowing I have a brand new battery fully charged . That's when I discovered same exact problem you have . I did on the water repair to get me through the day . I really dispise electrical issues on water . What do you guys use to make electrical connections ? Barrel connectors ? Or screw on connectors with some sealant ?

I solder all of my electric connections and use heat shrink tubing on them

Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
FISH11

What ever connector you use, there several that work ok with water around. The real problem is the electricity in and passing through the wires. The best thing I have found is like Jorge said solder and use shrink wrap at splices or I use a semi-hardening silicone on all my splices crimp connectors. On the pull apart connectors I apply some dielectric grease. You can buy some small tube and it just needs some applied to all the metal surfaces of the connector. You only need to reapply some maybe once a month. Always connect the battery last and disconnect first. Do not leave the battery plugged in when you disconnect the FF or bait tank connections. Electrolysis is the Enemy!