Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
sdsr1907

Price of used ff

I'm looking to find a used ff, I have found one locally that is around 200$ for a hds5 with nautical insight and transducer. Is this a good price for a gen1 or should I save more for a gen2? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sdsr1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

Not bad s long as it works. Check real well for corrosion and water intrusion
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
HobieScot

Price of used ff

Just be sure to turn it on and test it

Go thru its functions and make sure the buttons all work

Do not buy it unless you see it work unless you are buying it from someone that you know and trust

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
sdsr1907

It's a eBay one

Old 08-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
HobieScot

I personally wouldn't buy something that can be as delicate as a used fish finder without seeing it work myself unless I knew it could be easily returned if there was a problem

But that's just me.

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
fishja

I got my hds 5 gen 2 from west marine about 10 months ago during a sale and I think I paid a littler over $250 with the extended warranty... If you're in a rush then by all means pick it up... But there are deals out there! Lowrance is pretty helpful and will help you if the ff is a hunkojunk!

fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Some thoughts:

1. Technology and continual modifications continue jumping forward, rendering previous models dramatically less desirable, much harder to sell, and a price that falls accordingly. Including non-substantial "improvements." It's hard to know in advance what's important or not and it affects the resale market strongly.

2. These are sensitive instruments and can get "used up" with the salt, sun, knocking around, etc, they are subjected to. I think we don't want to buy someone else's problems when they feel it's time for an upgrade themselves.

3. In the case of sensitive and changing technology like this, I think the manufactures warranty is important. If it craps out, they replace it. Ebay doesn't work like that.

4. Consider the difference in price carefully between smart shopping and buying new, and the exposure to many risks you will have by buying one that's unknown, used, and not under warranty. Your loss will potentially be the amount you pay, not the amount you save. If you are paying $50 for an expensive and relatively new fish finder, then it's $50 that you stand to lose. That might be a good risk. If you are saving $50 over the price of a new one under warranty, then you might be penny wise and pound foolish.

5. Knowing the history of the fish finder yourself, and the person selling it is another consideration.

Good luck
Old 08-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

Fishja.........

You got an HDS 5 gen 2..........with extended warranty for 250 dollars?

Seriously?

Seriously?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
sdsr1907

Thanks for info, I'll most likely wait for a west marine sale. Another question though, since I only plan to go offshore maybe10-20x a year, and fish mostly lakes and the bays the rest of the time, what transducer would be a better option, the 50/200 or 83/200? Thanks