Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
King Saba

Drift socks, anyone use em'?

I made a small drift sock recently, about 15", and I found it was too small to hold my position when the winds were 10kts. I've been researching with my advanced googling skills and found that maybe a 30" one or maybe a 36" should work when the winds are snotty. For those with experience with this handy tool am I'm close to hitting the nail on head? My kayak is a Stealth 12. Thanks.

Last edited by King Saba; 10-14-2015 at 11:52 PM.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
taggermike

I don't use a drift chute often but they can be handy. Not sure what size mine is, buried in the shed right now, but I think it at least 24".
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
summers in kuwait

I used to ( before getting my hobie) use my drift chute a lot in the SD bay when fishing for halibut. It really helped slow my tarpon 120 down on windy days. I believe its the 24" crack of dawn. An anchor trolley is really helpful along with the drift chute to position the kayak.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
jorluivil

I have one that was given to me but I haven't installed it. My concern is the fact that if/when I hook a fish on the rod that is on the left side I have no way of bringing that fish to my right(gaff) side because of the line that is scoped out in front of the kayak.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Mahigeer

I just got one, but it has not been used yet.

Maybe in Gonzaga Bay in a new future.

Report to follow if I get to use it.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I don't use a drift chute often but they can be handy. Not sure what size mine is, buried in the shed right now, but I think it at least 24".
For your Ocean Kayak I feel like a smaller sock would work better since you don't get blown around as much as my yak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I used to ( before getting my hobie) use my drift chute a lot in the SD bay when fishing for halibut. It really helped slow my tarpon 120 down on windy days. I believe its the 24" crack of dawn. An anchor trolley is really helpful along with the drift chute to position the kayak.
Yeah, I've been lazy and have yet to add an anchor trolley as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I have one that was given to me but I haven't installed it. My concern is the fact that if/when I hook a fish on the rod that is on the left side I have no way of bringing that fish to my right(gaff) side because of the line that is scoped out in front of the kayak.
I think in your case it'd be less of an issue jorluivil. All you would need to do is peddle forward and move the sock away or pull in the sock while fighting the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I just got one, but it has not been used yet.

Maybe in Gonzaga Bay in a new future.

Report to follow if I get to use it.
Looking forward to it.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote