Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I lost my virginity at the Shores this morning!

I arrived at the launch around 6:30 just in time to see a guy paddle in with two very large WSB. The largest was at least 45 pounds. He had been fishing in the dark with squid. Nice fish but fishing in the dark does ot excite me much.

Anyway, I unloaded and rigged my Revolution hoping that today would be the day that I finally caught something other than bait. After seeing those huge WSB, I was encouraged. Then things started going wrong. I could not get the fish finder to work and just as I prepared to launch, the surf doubled in size coming at very short intervals. It was a very wet launch, but the water was warm.

Peddled out to the bouy to make bait. Nothing. Spent about a half hour trying to make bait and finally gave up. I decided to strap on a blue Crockodile and troll past the kelp. More nothing. That seemed to be the case for almost everyone on the water and there were lots of kayaks out there.

Suddenly... hook up. It was a nice Bonito. Released it and quickly caught several more. Then a small Calico followed by a couple more Bonito with a few Baris and a couple more Calicos thrown in to the mix. I was finally having some luck and lots of fun. Maybe I don't suck at fishing after all.

Since I had no bait, I decided to just continue trolling. I was right in front of the 939 condo when I got another hookup. This one was different from the others. The fish was really strong and went for long runs. Eventually he started to tire but just as I was getting close to seeing some color, he went for the kelp. For the next fifteen minutes I pulled what seemed like dead weight, making progress inches at a time.

Eventually, I lifted a big wad of kelp close to the surface. I still could not see the fish, just kelp but I knew I was close because my leader was now visible. Then I saw it... a yellow forked tail tangled in the kelp. Carefully, I started unwinding the kelp, piece by piece. Finally, the fish came free.

This was not a big fish, maybe 10 pounds but it was my first YT on a kayak and the first fish that I would keep since buying the boat last February. I was a happy camper.

I secured the fish and followed the instructions that I was given in this forum yesterday on how to gill and bleed the fish. Thanks for the instructions guys.

When that was done, I put my lure back in the water and began to troll again. Minutes later, another hookup. I was sure it was another YT and yep, the sucker behaved exactly the same as the first one. He even got himself tangled in the kelp the same way. I was able to land him anyway.

All together, I think I caught and released about twenty fish and kept the two YT. What a great day.

Until next time.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
steamroll

Congrats on the cherry poppers!!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
esdees
The Good Clone

Sweet!
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Nice double! Way to pop that cherry!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Dennis

. Two forkies!!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Congrats on a cherry popping !! I hope your roll continues.
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
TheSherThang

I call BS with out pics lol. Congrats on the yellows. I still have to pop that yellow cherry on my yak!
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
linghunter
skunk

WTG!!!

Always good to get that first one off you back!!! But Two's even better!!!
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Billy V

Good job Bob.
I was out there @ 4:30 this morning but you had better luck than me.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

Congrats....Brings me back.....

I almost quit reading when I got to the part about the kelp , but I'm glad the story had a nice climax. I think it's cool, to start off with the smaller grade (they still kick your ass) and work your way up. I know a guy that caught a Yellowtail over 50 lbs, that was his third ever Yellowtail caught. I can't imagine the dissapointment, when any fish you catch for the rest of your life pails in comparison .
Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
Quilted Germ

Nice job...thanks for the great pix!!
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
h2ofishfo

wtg hopefully ill have that luck this afternoon
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
805gregg

Good fishing, sometimes I miss SD.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote