Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Some people are just nuts!

Here is an article from today's UT about a guy fly fishing for sharks. At least he had the good sense not to do it from a kayak.

Bob

Ocean fly-fishing guide Conway Bowman has stared into the eyes of giant mako sharks as he unhooked a fly from their toothy jaws, but he felt compelled to do more after his client Jeff Patterson hooked a great white shark Friday off La Jolla.
“We took the fly out and both patted it on the head,” said Bowman, who owns Bowman Bluewater, a guide service that covers the ocean and local lakes. “This was a catch of a lifetime.”
Bowman, also the reservoir keeper at Lake Hodges, estimated the great white shark, a protected species, was 6 feet long and weighed about 150 pounds. It is believed to be the first great white shark hooked off the California coast with a fly rod and single action fly reel.
Patterson, director of sales for Abel Automatics in Camarillo, manufacturer of the reel, was testing company products on Bowman's boat. Patterson said he casted a foot-long artificial fly tied to imitate a bleeding bonito or mackerel to the shark as it made its initial run through the chum slick and at the boat.
“The grab was instantaneous, and the shark cooperated with a quick left turn to allow the proper hook set,” Patterson said.
Patterson said the great white's initial run was estimated at 275 yards. The fight lasted some 25 minutes.
Patterson used a Scott 15-weight rod and Abel Super 13 reel loaded with Rio Leviathan 550 grain line and 380 yards of 50-pound gel spun backing.
“I thought it was a mako shark at first,” Bowman told listeners Sunday night on All Outdoors Radio. “But then I got a good look at it, and when we got it to the boat, I was sure. To see a great white shark that close is the pinnacle of my guiding career. To stare into its eyes and know that some day it could grow to 20 to 22 feet and weigh 1,800 to 2,000 pounds, it was almost surreal.”
Bowman knew something was up when a sea lion that had been in the chum slick began acting squirrelly and moved farther out.
“All of a sudden the sea lion split and sat out there 100 yards from the slick,” Bowman said. “That usually means a big mako is in the area. But all of a sudden, the great white shark rolled up. It was something, seeing a small great white like that. Usually, even the smaller ones are 10 to 12 feet, not 6 or 7 feet like this one.”
Bowman wondered if the juvenile great white had a mother nearby.
“If she would have shown, I would have started the motor and got out of there,” Bowman said.
In addition to catching and releasing the great white, Patterson caught and released eight blue sharks and three mako sharks over two days of fishing.
Information about fishing for sharks is at bowmanbluewater.com.
Union-Tribune
Ed Zieralski: (619) 293-1225;
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Siebler

the little white shark is a trip for sure

As for sharks on the fly, Hes pretty well known for doing this. I think a shark on the fly would be a blast and its def. something I want to do eventually.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I've seen a number of articles about Conrad Bowman and his saltwater fly fishing trips. They chum up makos and then try to get them to take a fly.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...o-sharks-kayak

http://www.uptownangler.com/saltwate...ks-on-fly.html

This is an 11 foot mako that they caught a little ways off of Pacific Beach.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Adam12

His wife fishes in La Jolla from a paddle board.
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
frugalfisher

Sounds like fun to me!

Damn! I'd really like to have the experience of seeing a white shark.

Anywhere.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
steamroll

Go surf San O right now if you want to see one.

2 juvi's have been spotted the last 4 afternoons at San O

http://sharkresearchcommittee.com/pa...shark_news.htm