Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Oct 21, 2011 Fishing Report

Well its time for another fishing report. 10/21/2011

Grab your soda and maybe something to snack on.

I arrived at the Bu at 6:35am, and i was the only one there. (Some people got lost and some people could not make it). Once again i do not like to fish alone, but sometimes you have no choice. I took my time and setup my kayak and got ready to launch. I looked back and made sure i had my lunch bag and my water supplies, do not leave home with out them.

Today the journey was to paddle straight out to the kelp and drift around for Halibut and fish for Lingcod. (no luck)

I looked out to the waves and placed my kayak in the water and paddled out. TODAY was the best day to launch at the Bu, 1-2ft surf. I took out my sabiki rig to catch some bait, about a half hour in to bait making, i hear big splashes. I see 4 dozen birds working the water about 1 mile out, and so i reel up and paddle as hard as i can. I load up my reels and cast it to the birds.

BOOOM!!!
SPLASh !!!
BOOM!!!

I almost pooped my pants as a dozen dolphins and a few babies jump out of the water along with some seals right behind me about 50ft. BAIT EVERYWHERE. I cast under the dolpins, for nada.
The birds are chasing the dolphins, the dolphins are chasing the bait, and i am chasing all of them. I must have been chasing them for an hour straight. issed:

Suddenly my gps goes bonkers and it starts reading gibberish, it is reading the whole screen as speckled black dots. I toss my line out to the birds let it sink to the bottoom, ALL THE WAY DOWN.... BOOM!!!!!

It is a hit. I put my new set the hook technique to good use. It takes off... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

WHAT CAN it BE,

EPIC EPIC EPIC.....
is it a :halibut: :bug:

I DON'T KNOW!

Not much of an epic fish, I was just excited...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :nono: :nutkick:

I tell my self i am not losing this fish, and i start reeling in the fish... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

its a 13" Salmon Grouper (magnified the size for extra flavor)

i stayed and fish this new area for awhile, since i lost the birds and i am exhausted.

I got one more Salmon Grouper, i few small sand dabs and a huge bat ray. Now it was time for the 2 hours paddle back to the launch.

I finally arrive back at the launch at 2:30pm and load up my car and as soon as i get home and put away the fish, it was time to go hooping. .

Matt calls me on my cell phone and tells me... Frank you better be on your way to cabrillo, its going to be A killer day out here.
(for those of you who fish with Matt, Matt always begins his day with ITS GOING TO BE LIMITS BABY LIMITS)

We parked our cars on the street, load up the kayak and get ready to launch....
The group today was

Roby, Matt, and of course yours truly... Frank

We launched out of the swimming area around 6ish and begin our long paddle to the outside wall... As we all get there, i see no one there.

I think to myself...

NOT GOOD!

The sea lions followed our every move, we even turned off our lights and made a trip to the middle wall.

FOR NOTHING!!!!

I decided to move one of my nets closer to the middle wall... I grab my net and as i toss it down... THIS BIRDS ROCKETS UP TO THE AIR AND SWIRLS DOWN AT FULL SPEED HEAD ON TO MY HEAD.

Because of being trained in Kayak Seals in B.W.E I grab my paddle with epic speed wak the bird in midflight and crashes down on, one of my smaller pvc poles and breaks off due to the impact. The horrific bird revives it self launches in the air and circles roby for 5 mins. We end our night in the fog, with no signs of a crawl... Not a good night to hoop...

I arrive first at the beach launch, butt was numb from fishing all day i stand up and fall right in the water, my legs did not work. LOL

never coming back to hoop this wall again!! well never say never...
As Matt says " its called fishing stop complaining"

just love giving mat a hard time...

On the way back, Matt got a flat tire on his kayak wheels. He almost fainted... Good thing the cars were not to far away, we might have had to carry matt along with his kayak.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
DESTROYER

LOL...good report!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
toby

Enjoyed the report Frank! Tomorrow will be a better day!
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
coxtanker421

nub question

how can you tell if bugs are on on the move?what activity do you look for? thx
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
coxtanker421

good report
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
ctfphoto

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxtanker421 View Post
how can you tell if bugs are on on the move?what activity do you look for? thx

Bugs in the nets

Last time out no bugs nor even small bugs with 4 nets out and 4 hours. Bugs were not moving, too calm of waters that night imo
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

great report Frank...we had great conditions this weekend on this side, ALOT of short lings...but fun, one LEO OFF THE BEACH great times, I have figured the BU would have produced better....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote