Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
OEX
Administrator

2010 Islander Dates

It's on again! These trips are unbelievably awesome. A must do if you call yourself a kayak fisherman. All trips are scheduled to fish San Clemente Island this year. It's almost always "all the bass you can catch" if you fish the kelp and usually more than a few yellowtail and halibut for the guys targeting them. The longer trip gives you an opportunity to do both, or dedicate more time to your preference.

As always, live bait and full, legitimate meals are included (we're not talking burgers and dogs here...). Bring $$$ for tips and beers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1.5 day trips:

May 14th -16th
June 4th -6th

$295. Leave Friday evening come back early Sunday morning.

Requires a $150 deposit to hold spot. Fully refundable up to 2 weeks before trip. No refunds within 2 weeks of departure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2.5 day trip:

May 20-23

$495. Leave Thurs. evening come back Sunday morning. Two full days of fishing, sun up to sun down. Gives you time to freedive, relax, or target multiple species without a time crunch.

Requires a $250 deposit to hold spot. Fully refundable up to 2 weeks before trip. No refunds within two weeks of departure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who have never done one of these trips, it really is a must do. Bring all your own gear and kayak. The boat has a big metal rack that mounts over the bait tank which will hold upwards of 20 kayaks. The Islander is equipped with a very wide, stable, swim step so when you're ready to launch two crew members hand your kayak down to two more on the swimstep who put it in the water and you simply sit right into the kayak. If you have a VHF you can hail the zodiac to pick up fish, bring you a beer/food, or deliver any items you might've forgotten. This is the 5th or 6th year for these trips, they've really got it down to a science.

Call OEX Mission Bay to book spots.
(619) 866-6129

Thanks again to the Islander guys!
619 866-6129
Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
NextBite

i love the Islander

Old 01-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Here are the tide graphs and astronomical data for San Clemente Island (Wilson Cove) for the four trips dates. If you have trouble reading them, send me a PM and I'll email the full res versions.

7-9 MAY 1.5 day

20-23 MAY 2.5 day

4-6 JUN 1.5 day

11-13 JUN 1.5 day

Note: curves at the bottom are the Maori fishing calendar.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
OEX
Administrator

Sorry, Doug, need a new chart. Date of May 7-9 is changed to 14-16.
619 866-6129
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

SCI tides for 14-16 May Islander trip

Tides and Maori fishing calendar for 14-16MAY Islander trip

Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
ericko

dumb guy

Ok i will be that guy what do these graphs mean doug . How will it help me catch fish

ya i need a lot of help
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
dgax65
Guerro Grande

This is from the WTides application help page:

The Maori Fishing Calendar

There is a thing called the Maori Fishing Calendar. It is published in various forms in New Zealand. The Maori (and many other Pacific peoples) found that on certain days of the lunar cycle, fishing was better than at other times. These days are mainly the few days surrounding the New Moon.

Does this stuff really work? It's not infallible. There are, after all, still the effects of weather and season to be factored in. However, many people are quite convinced that, on balance, you will catch more “fish per unit effort” on a day when the Maori calendar predicts good fishing than on other days. At least there’s more chance it is valid than the astrological predictions published daily by even the most respectable journals.

The moon's gravitational pull is said to directly affect animal appetites. When the moon is overhead, for some reason, it makes fish hungry. When the moon is underfoot, it also seems to make fish hungry. This is true for both fresh and salt water fish. The gravitational pull of the sun must have a similar, if lesser effect. So, when the sun and the moon are ‘up’ or ‘down’ at roughly the same time – as happens near new and full moon – fishing should be the most productive. Some people say the hour around moonrise and moonset have a similar, if lesser, stimulating effect.

In addition to the effect of gravity, light must play a good part in the ability to catch fish. If the fish can’t see the bait, it is unlikely to find it. Many predatory fish have eyes that see better in low light than the eyes of their prey. This makes dawn and dusk two valuable contributors to good fishing. Bright moonlight is probably similar from the perspective of the fish, so full moon nights are also favoured fishing times.

Finally, a good current is helpful in carrying the food supply (and your ground bait) towards the fish.

So, basically they assign values to factors such as sunrise/set,moonrise/set, moon/sun overhead/underfoot and tidal movement to make the graph. You'll notice that the peaks correspond to the portion of the tide graphs with the greatest slope. Those are the times with the greatest water movement. At times of peak tidal flow you get the most feeding activity.

Not exactly proven by rigorous scientific experiment, but probably supported by time on the water experience. I don't know if I absolutely accept the validity of the graphs. After all; I've proven that I can't catch fish at peak tidal flow just as well as at slack tide. Maybe that's just me, though
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
ericko

Doug

Thanks for explaining...

Hoping this trip will be a birthday gift..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
OEX
Administrator

Heads up, our previously double booked trip on June 11-13 has been canceled since the Islander has enough sign ups to run Lebowitz's trip during that time. Post has been updated.
619 866-6129
Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Stoneale
Banned

Are there any spots still open for the May 14th -16th dates?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
wbrewski

I am on the March trip

Is there anyone that is going, going to flyfish on this trip? I am bring my flyrod for some fun.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
wbrewski

Tackle

moved
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
OEX
Administrator

With the forced cancellation of the 2.5 day Islander trip this weekend the guys on the Islander were kind enough to Cancel an Open Party offshore trip to add another date for us.

What we are looking at is a 1.5 day to SCI on June 15-17. This is a Tues-Thurs trip that will depart late Tuesday and return early Thursday so you should be able to get away with only taking one day off work if needed.

Price on the trip is 295.00 and will include all your food and such.

Fishermen and Spearos are welcome. Fishing should be Really good this late in June as the water will be getting warm. I expect to see a good number of yellows caught on this trip.

Call OEX Mission bay to book your spot.

619-866-6129
619 866-6129
Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEX View Post
With the forced cancellation of the 2.5 day Islander trip this weekend

what happened? not enough people?
that sucks!!!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
Hunters Pa