Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
jorluivil

Hooping in DP 10/23

SKUNK

Hooped the outside wall with Bryguth(Bryan)....pulled up at least 20+ and not one of them was a keeper, some were so small they were falling out of thru the holes in the net.

Bryan pulled about the same amount and caught one keeper on the first set.....no skunk for him. Going to try LBC tomorrow......if anyones interested in coming let me know.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Jzo

Thx for sharing, hope you have better results today, good luck.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
T Bone

Dana can be tough...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
jorluivil

I have a confession to make.......I'm stoked, really glad I decided to give this sport a try. What I would really liked to do is hoop Catalina. Have any of you ever tried it? Can you provide some details on the experince?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
T Bone

I havent hooped cat.but will this year and soon.Hooping is done in 100-180' water and you need to weight the hoops and legal to short ratio is around 1-2 when you get further from avalon.I will be sure to post a report.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I havent hooped cat.but will this year and soon.Hooping is done in 100-180' water and you need to weight the hoops and legal to short ratio is around 1-2 when you get further from avalon.I will be sure to post a report.
I hooped Cat a few times when I owned my boat, your ratio sounds about right, 30 pulled up with an average of 14+ keepers. However, our depth ranged from as little as 10' to as deep as 200', managed to get keepers in both depths.

I'm going to start doing some research and see which of the Cat Express boats are yak friendly. I'd like to depart early morning and arrive in Cat before noon, this will give me/us a chance to paddle over to our spot, setup camp and still allow us enough time to get our nets in the water before the private boaters show up. The following morning we can paddle back to the harbor and be back home by midafternoon the next day.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Sounds like an interesting trip let me know what you find out....
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

MDR flyer is the only yak friendly shuttle I know of....you can also rent yaks on the island.

Or you can always finds a group of guys on BD that are going to the islands and hitch a ride with them.....strap your yak to the bow, it's worked for me!

good luck!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote