Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
FARRIER

Squid presentation?

What are the various presentations you use for squid? Live, dead, plastic?? Just curious for some new ways of rigging these suckurs up.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Gino

Droppa Loop! Hook them at the top of the mantle. Fish suck them up like Angel Hair Pasta.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
bubblehide

Egg sinker directly on the line, tie a hook on, then hook through the top of the mantel, twist the hook to face the squid and come back through a bit lower. If you do it right it provides a natural presentation with no kinks in the squid.

There is also the JD (Jim Day) dropper. He uses a small piece of clear tube, that is just big enough in size to slide on the line. He puts the tube on, ties a hook to the main line, and ties a 1 to 2-1/2 foot piece of about 10 pound line to the clear tube and the sinker goes on the other end of the 10 pound.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
lterrero
Leo

Hey man, where are you! long time I don't see? get your Squid rigged & let me know when you go out.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
There is also the JD (Jim Day) dropper.....

Everyone is going to know I paid you to say that

Hey it works for me, probably 75% of squid fish I get are on that rig. I got that black on it our last trip and there is no way in hell I could of landed that fish with a standard dropper.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
There is also the JD (Jim Day) dropper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Everyone is going to know I paid you to say that
Jim
Wow JD dropper! Congrats!
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzo View Post
Wow JD dropper! Congrats!
Yeah the standard dropper is not a 100% knot, and since it weakens the line I kinda came up with my own substitute.

It's a 100%, slides when bit, and seems to get bit better with a higher hookup when the Yellows are around.

Jim
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
TCS

Jim, did you ever consider putting a carolina keeper on the main line to have a few inches of line between the hook and the slider? Seems like that could help with the presentation Only downside I could think of is that it might twist on the way down...
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Jim, did you ever consider putting a carolina keeper on the main line to have a few inches of line between the hook and the slider? Seems like that could help with the presentation Only downside I could think of is that it might twist on the way down...
Yeah there is the twist and spin factor. The deal is when the tube is tight to the hook and squid it keeps the squid level, so it cant twist or spin.

With macs as well they do not spin or tangle, If you give them slack with the Carolina keeper they will do both.

I have used CKs with it setting up long leaders for halibut fishing with anchovies, but found it worked better without the keeper with Macks Sardines Jacksmelt and Squid.

Jim
Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
-scallywag-
Banned

ha....or you could just use the "search" function on the tool bar above ? or ....google?

truth is all this stuff, including the most super secret methods have been discussed in great length in the past, read, learn, experiment... or do you want us to reel your fish in for you to?

or....

actually go fishing and see/ask what others are doing?

what I'm trying to say is there is a time and place for everything, and this ain't it!!!

GO FISH!!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
ha....or you could just use the "search" function on the tool bar above ? or ....google?

truth is all this stuff, including the most super secret methods have been discussed in great length in the past, read, learn, experiment... or do you want us to reel your fish in for you too
thanks scallywhad for your advise.
i've used the "google search", but it really doesn't give too much info like these sites do. i am sure that this is a reason why a lot of us are reading this forum, to learn something from others who know more than i do.
glad that you have already read, learned and experimented with "this stuff" already and sorry that it is so boring for you to have to reread this stuff again.
i look at it this way. we all start off at the same spot but learn at a different pace through experience or from meeting someone who is willing to share their knowledge. with the internet, it has become easier to learn from others; that's why this site is so useful. so thank you (jim day) to those who are willing to share their knowledge with us.
and no thanks i'll reel in my own fish, once i learn to fish first......
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
thanks scallywhad for your advise.
i've used the "google search", but it really doesn't give too much info like these sites do. i am sure that this is a reason why a lot of us are reading this forum, to learn something from others who know more than i do.
glad that you have already read, learned and experimented with "this stuff" already and sorry that it is so boring for you to have to reread this stuff again.
i look at it this way. we all start off at the same spot but learn at a different pace through experience or from meeting someone who is willing to share their knowledge. with the internet, it has become easier to learn from others; that's why this site is so useful. so thank you (jim day) to those who are willing to share their knowledge with us.
and no thanks i'll reel in my own fish, once i learn to fish first......

Hey Tagyak, welcome to the forum! I glad to see you didn't get discouraged with the previous post. Your right, we all start somewhere, and networking on a site like this is a good place to start building on what one already knows. Personally, I enjoy reading through these posts, even if I've read through the info previously. There have been times when re-reading, I realized usefulness of what was being presented when I had previously not. So ask away! However, I do beleive that scallywhad was referring to this sites search feature; but be warned, you could spend days trying to find what your looking for. So you might be better off just asking away.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Vikingj

Lately I've been using a "drop shot" rig (tying the hook directly to the line and leaving a 1 1/2ft tag end for the weight). It looks like this would have the same strenght and presentation as the JD rig. What do you think?
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
j mo

Ive heard that if you "present" the squid just under a fishes nose it will work the best
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Lately I've been using a "drop shot" rig (tying the hook directly to the line and leaving a 1 1/2ft tag end for the weight). It looks like this would have the same strenght and presentation as the JD rig. What do you think?
Wayne

Not the same but close. But a major difference is that if the JD dropper weight gets hung up, the weight will break off, as it is tied on with much lighter line; and you still have the fish.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Personally I also like Jim's posts. Sometimes they may take a day or two to finish reading them , but I always walk away with some applicable knowledge. Thanks, Jim.

Seems lately, though, we've been learning more from Scallwag about what we are NOT allowed to do.

Last month I might've caught dis thing using stuff for bait over there somewhere with you-know-that-one-technique...

(How's that?!?!)

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
FARRIER

I like that dropper loop rig its a nice new idea. Has anyone ever had their palomar knot slip down using bigger test. I have had it happen while drop shotting 8lb test for bass and hooking a larger bass. The knot slipped closer to the weight but havent it used too much with 25-40 lb test.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
bubblehide

Ferrier, try a better knot (strength wise), like a Bob Sands/tony Penya, or a San Diego.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #19
FARRIER

Yeah should of specified i was referring to a drop shot presentation with the palomar knot. I've adopted the san diego jam knot for most everything else.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post
Has anyone ever had their palomar knot slip down using bigger test. I have had it happen while drop shotting 8lb test for bass and hooking a larger bass. The knot slipped closer to the weight but havent it used too much with 25-40 lb test.
I have had it slip with thirty and forty but it's weird... not catastrophic failure but it can slip a little at a time.

I usually leave a tag end sticking out about 3/16 of an inch but after a full day of fishing I've noticed a few times it's slipped down to 1/8. If I keep fishing it and the tag gets smaller and smaller, and eventually the knot will fail. So it's not so much slipping but like it's slowly working loose.

That said it's a great knot, you just have to retie it if the tag gets too short.

Jim