Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
tptrench

? about catfish

I know this board is mainly for saltwater stuff, but here is my ? about catfish. I love eating blackened catfish (southern style) and I remember getting "spiked" by one I caught when I was kid. It hurt, but nothing like a sculpin. I forget which fin got me, so when I ever catch another one, which fin or fins do I avoid? and how do you handle them? Thanks in advance, TP
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

From what I remember about them from my freshwater days is you avoid the two pectoral fins, and anything that looks like it may have a thorn in it. I have handled many of these and other than those two fins they are pretty harmless. There are many lakes that you can catch them in here in San Diego. Otay, Murray, El Cap, and Morena and I believe those all allow Kayaks also.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tptrench View Post
I know this board is mainly for saltwater stuff, but here is my ? about catfish. I love eating blackened catfish (southern style) and I remember getting "spiked" by one I caught when I was kid. It hurt, but nothing like a sculpin. I forget which fin got me, so when I ever catch another one, which fin or fins do I avoid? and how do you handle them? Thanks in advance, TP
Three fins: dorsal two pecs leading edge for each fin is a barbed bone like quill that is sharp on the ends.

Small catfish have the sharpest spines, as bigger ones tend to wear them down. Grab small ones from the front right handed in front of the dorsal with the top of the head in the palm of your hand thumb behind the right pectoral fin index finger behind the left, rest of the fingers in front of the left pectral fin. Don't be shy grab and hold on tight. This is they way to hold them when you skin them as well.

Bigger fish lift them by the gills, big flatheads stick your hand in their mouth and grab the lower jaw like a suitcase handle.

Whatever you do don't drop them on your feet, I once saw a guy get a spine stuck straight through the top of his foot, when he dropped a ten pound channel barefoot.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
lterrero
Leo

Not here, but there is salt water catfish & they are pretty good to eat. The top fin is the one you got to watch.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
tptrench

Thumbs up

Thank you for the response, much appreciated.TP
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Clip the pects & dorsal wit dikes to at least blunt the spikes
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Clip the pects & dorsal wit dikes to at least blunt the spikes
Yeah but you have to watch that though because sometimes they kind of splinter and are still sharp. I used to commercially hook and line Catfish on the Red River and one of my buddies always did that, but I remember once when we were skinning our catch when a two pound fish twisted out of his hand and in the process the cut off dorsel sliced him good in his palm between the thumb and forefinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterrero View Post
Not here, but there is salt water catfish & they are pretty good to eat. The top fin is the one you got to watch.
In the Gulf "Gafftop" (Gafftopsail) Catfish are excellent eating:

We used to just nail those in the channel near Port Aransas. In contrast hardhead cartfish that frequent the same waters are not worth eating and have the most venomous spines I have ever seen. Worse then getting spined from a batray or stingray in my opinion.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-07-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

I never knew "Jim" was such a hottie! I guess, you put a nice fish in front of anyone and all of a sudden they look better.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
I never knew "Jim" was such a hottie! I guess, you put a nice fish in front of anyone and all of a sudden they look better.
LOL...

Hey I was just looking for a good pic of a decent sized Gafftop online. It was either the cute girl or some chubby kid.

The kid had the bigger fish but he lost to the girl. What can I say
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
bubblehide

lol
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Now here's a nice Gafftop:

Compare that to a hardhead catfish.

You catch them in the same areas on the same baits but the Hardheads aren't worth eating.

Jim