Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
sasha

first time fishing

Well boys and girls. Yesterday was my first time fishing off the kayak. launched from malibu pier and paddled out just for a nice work out for 20 min. Then i went for the kelp. Been working the kelp for 2 hours or so and nothing. Just once i seen a fish go for the lure almost at the top but never seen it again. Then i went closer to the rocks seen lots of bait. At one point i throw the lure in and bammmmm. The rod bends and i got a fish on the other end. Shortly after i got it in the kayak. It was about 2lb and a little over 12in. but im not sure if it was rockfish or not. Not to take a chance i just kicked i back out. Didnt want to take a chance. Still trying to figure out the rules what i can and cant keep. The DFG site is hard to figure out for a newbe. Over all it was lots of fun. I learned what i didnt like on how i set it up and a few things i would like to do to make it more fun.. Only reason i came back was some real heavy fog that settled down. With in a few min i couldnt see the shore line. I could see the pier only when i came right on top it on the way back. Already planning on my next fishing trip.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Jimmyz123

Welcome to the site and the sport. Go to a fish tackle store and pick up the latest DFG Regs book. It's nice to have that on hand when fishing, or study up on it. Knowing what you are catching is very important. Keeping the wrong fish could make for a very steap ticket.

Nice thing also is take a picture of what you catch and post it here asking for Fish ID assistance. Believe me someone on this site will know what you caught.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
onetriphudson

You may want to learn what a Sculpin looks like and be sure not to touch any of it's spines. To a new guy you might mistake it for a common rockfish and end up in a lot of pain.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
sasha

Im working on learning more about the fish out there. Also on diffrent idea on how to set up fishing rigs... One day i would be posting a pic of the big one
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
bubblehide

Sasha, that's just the beginning of the addiction, welcome. See you out there soon.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
yakrider

I sure wish you would have seen your email!
I whacked 'em good!
next time...

glad you got a tugger
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote