Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Cameras?

I'm a bit jealous of you guys with the nice cameras taking sweet OTW photos. So I must ask for recommendations. My two year old got ahold of my Sony Cybershot that we bought about 4 years ago and now it mysteriously doesn't work. Kinda a favor in disguise since we've been thinking about getting a new one. I probably won't be taking it fishing with me though. The one thing I didn't like about the old one was the slow "shutter speed". I could never capture those actions shots at the right time. Size isn't the biggest issue but if there was a sleek digi with a decent-good megapixel spec with a lightning fast processing speed, that would be great. Looking to spend between or around $300-$400. Thanks.

Last edited by nmbrinkman; 03-14-2008 at 04:58 PM.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
steamroll

Pentax Optio or the Olympus that Holy Mac has.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
TheSherThang

I use a Sony W90 and have a water proof case for it
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
spooky007

I was lookingat the olymous sw850 There $299 and are submersible even in sw. They even come in pink!!!lol
spooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I have had both.... I like the Olympus 720 SW because it is waterproof to 10ft, and also shock proof, to 5ft, I have tested this... Both cameras are very good though for the sport of kayak fishing... I literally abused both cameras with saltwater, they have been soaking in my footwell, and they held up good... I just try to wash them off with fresh water... Although I dropped my Pentax, and it broke... They make a new Olympus that goes to 30ft.... I don't like the cameras with dive housing, if you get water on the lens, then it comes out blurry... I like to be careless.... It is also cumbersome, my Olympus fits in my lifevest pocket...

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
sbsyncro

I have the Optio W30 and I've been really happy with it (It comes with me on every trip, about once a week). The pictures are good and the movie quality is surprisingly good. The shutter is definitely on the slow side, though. The price point and small form factor were winners for me.

I got a silicone sleeve for it, and attached a stainless caribiner and chunk of pool noodle to make it float in case it goes overboard. I clip it to my PFD and stuff the camera in my PFD pocket so it is always handy.

Here's some sample snaps:

http://gallery.mac.com/bpchristensen...r=black&sel=24

BTW, that bat ray was caught on a sabiki with 8# line. We'd been catching short hali's and I was sure it was a legal halibut, and tried to "finesse" it in, knowing the line would easily break if I horsed it in. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed to see a bat ray. A hoop net to pull him in, a pat on the back, and a quick hook removal, and he was back in water.
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote