Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Kayak805
Junior

Is a bait tank overkill?

For live bait on a yak is a powered bait tank that important? Why not just a small bait bucket that I can drop in the wate once in awhile?
Kayak805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Aaron&Julie

If you're talking about a bucket with holes in it, that can fit into one without holes, you might be able to keep 3 or 4 spanish alive that way, if you cycle the water every 15 minutes or so. Greenies and sardines require a constant source of fresh saltwater, or they'll die pretty quick, unless you only have a couple in there.
Ocean fishing success has always been much greater with VERY lively bait.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
buttchaser
Float Tuber

I would avoid carrying a bait bucket around all day , It might be easier to just carry a bait tube , Less drag and space.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Kayak805
Junior

Yeah I have a yellow bucket full of holes and it's a pain to drag it and out of a kayak. But I think I've got too many accessories already on m kayak and I'm losing the pleasure of simplicity. Plus the more stuff on my kayak I have the more paranoid I get in punching (or capsizing) through the surf.
Kayak805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i bring the bait tank when there is supposed to be a "hot bite". came in handy for threshers and keeps about 15 dines alive and well for halibut. but if im just going out to find fish and soak, i bring a regular bucket and load up on mackerel to use for bait in the surf and if i use a live one i put it on right after catching it.

squid and 2-5 10" mackerel will stay alive in a 2.5ft tube all day, but it does get caught on kelp and adds some drag.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
ReelNasty

Go to petsmart and buy a dog food container, either big or small, poke a couple holes in the top. Get a bilge and some tubing. Your set.
ReelNasty is offline   Reply With Quote