Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #1
ceruleandrms

Cabrillo Beach

Is anyone fishing Cabrillo beach this Sunday? (May 4th, 2014). If so let me know. I've never yak fished there before and want to try somewhere new. I will most likely launch off the beach by the pier to be on the outside of the breakwall. Any tips, spots or just some good company will be greatly appreciated. Let me know. Thank you
ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

yak fish in sunday

Hey bro, I was thinking of fishing there on Sunday too. I've fished Cabrillo kelp from my buddy's boat and we couldn't go into the kelp since we didn't want to get the prop tangled, but we managed to get a bunch of rockfish, cabezon, sculpin, lots of calicos all using frozen squid on a dropper loop. Now that I have my kayak, I can fish right on top of the kelp and may have better results. I'm go I no to launch from the beach since it's pretty mellow and protected, so surf launching should be easy. Besides, launching from the boat ramp and going around the wall will take forever to paddle out there. Launching from the beach is less than 50 yards to the kelp. It's pretty amazing to think you can get rockfish in just 30-50 ft deep water.

Anyways, my plan is to leave my house in Brea by 5 am, get there by 6, and on the water by 6:30. And spend less time kayaking and more time fishing than last Sunday. I'll be driving a red saturn vue and fishing from my sand camo malibu x factor. See you there

~Kevin~

Aka Sgt
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

BTW, I'll bring some extra squid if you need some. But I may also try to catch some live bait.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
socal.beach.bum

I'll be out there with my pops to try out his new Hobie tandem. See you guys out there. We will be out there at 6am....probably do the beach launch too, since the paddles out from the boat ramp is a long ways to go to get to the breakwall.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

It's not that far...I would suggest that you guys launch from the boat ramp. Nice and clean, no sand to drag your kayak across, water to rinse your stuff down, launch very close to your truck...besides what's wrong with a little extra paddling?

You can buy bait at the barge for $10 bucks + tip of course, mike out at the barge is a good guy.

Bait can be made out there right now but your going to have to search for it, and it's going to take away from your fishing time.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
socal.beach.bum

Where exactly is the bait barge? I tried looking for it last weekend but guess I didn't look at the right place.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
It's not that far...I would suggest that you guys launch from the boat ramp. Nice and clean, no sand to drag your kayak across, water to rinse your stuff down, launch very close to your truck...besides what's wrong with a little extra paddling?

You can buy bait at the barge for $10 bucks + tip of course, mike out at the barge is a good guy.

Bait can be made out there right now but your going to have to search for it, and it's going to take away from your fishing time.
Only $10 for a scoop of live bait? That's money! ! I'll take two for the live well!! Is it anchovies, or something else ( mackerel, sardines, squid)? I've never bought live bait from a barge, but heard it's like $50-60 a scoop.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
ceruleandrms

Cool, I'll leave the valley about 04:30 or so and be there soon after. I'll be in a gray/silver Subaru Forester with a big yellow Tarpon 120 on top of it. Hope to see you out there and maybe you will get a good laugh if I happen to eat it getting off the beach!
KM
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
cell128
lizard king

I might head there too. Is there a general radio channel bwe members use?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
I might head there too. Is there a general radio channel bwe members use?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure. Never been out there with anyone from BWE. I'm actually not bringing a radio out with me. Last Thursday I went out cuz the wind for the weekend was gonna suck and somehow or another the "waterproof" bag my radio was in turned out to not be very waterproof so I sent it back in to Midland for a replacement. If anything I'll bring my whistle or scream real loud