Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Paddling Hands?

Hobie guys, do your hands/fingers get beat up like this after a day or two on the water?
I paddle a X-13 and each time I go out my hands and fingers completely peel off a layer or two of skin. It takes about a week or two to clear up. It gives me something to do when I'm bored but my wife hates it and some of my patients trip out on them when I go to touch them. Also, I need to grab medications out of a Pyxis system at work that scans my fingerprint and I'm unrecognizable when the fingertip skin peels off for a couple weeks. Not too big of a deal but it slows me down when I have to wait on a nurse to grab me some lidocaine or other meds.

I only ask this question because if this doesn't happen to Hobie guys, it will support my cause in buying a Revo

I'm hoping to tell my wife: 1)this is a paddller's problem. 2) you will have nicer hands to hold 3) no more touching patients with scaly fingers (I actually throw gloves on when this occurs) 4) it will make me more effecient at work.

Thanks in advance
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Hobie guys, do your hands/fingers get beat up like this after a day or two on the water?
I paddle a X-13 and each time I go out my hands and fingers completely peel off a layer or two of skin. It takes about a week or two to clear up. It gives me something to do when I'm bored but my wife hates it and some of my patients trip out on them when I go to touch them. Also, I need to grab medications out of a Pyxis system at work that scans my fingerprint and I'm unrecognizable when the fingertip skin peels off for a couple weeks. Not too big of a deal but it slows me down when I have to wait on a nurse to grab me some lidocaine or other meds.

I only ask this question because if this doesn't happen to Hobie guys, it will support my cause in buying a Revo

I'm hoping to tell my wife: 1)this is a paddller's problem. 2) you will have nicer hands to hold 3) no more touching patients with scaly fingers (I actually throw gloves on when this occurs) 4) it will make me more effecient at work.

Thanks in advance

My hands don't look like that!!! Are you using paddling gloves? My hands only get cut if i am setting up a new rig or i get hook on my hand.

These are the ones i use...http://www.rei.com/product/817795
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Are you using a paddle that has sandpaper on it? To support your argument you'll only have to worry about your thumb getting burned from a fish pulling line. Other than that I would imagine your hands would be out of danger.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
MVC

Do your hands get wet from the paddle? Time to switch to a Hobie.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I got a real hobie no mirage drive, and after 8+hours on the water my hands dont look like that. Are you paddling with a oar?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
old_rookie

I bought tennis racket grips and wrapped them around the shaft. That helped the problems I had.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Kaijuu
"Floater"

hobie hands

I have a Hobie. No, my hands don't look look yours. Your patients would love the feel of my hands.

However; Im not sure the paddling is the cause of your skin issues.

Proper paddling technique is essential, especially if paddling for long periods. Use a relaxed grip, don't choke it. You could be burning the skin off by friction.

Otherwise, see a doctor,
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
jbaker

when i first got my kayak i realized i was holding the grip way to tight me hands would hurt and it tired me out, if the paddle got wet or my hands got wet I had to grip really hard, so i got some grip tape for a bat i think, maybe $5 at big 5, wrapped the paddle where i grip it and its worked great for a year now. I was thinking about paddling gloves too.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Back when I was putting myself through school roofing in NY I had a friend that had this issue when roofing in cold wet weather. He used to take GE 100% silicone caulk and rub it all over his hands. It not only repelled water but kept his hands warm as well. I tired it myself and it works but I was worried about using it all the time because I figured it might be harmful long term. We actually talked about doing research and marketing it repackaged as a silicone water repellent hand cream...

That said I figured somebody had to have something like that on the market by now. Sure enough...

NORTH 222 BARRIER CREAM W/SILICONE: Barrier Cream With Silicone, 4 oz. Tube, In Either Wet Or Dry Work Situations, This Cream Protects Skin Against Many Sticky, Staining And Irritating Industrial Sub-Stances. Contains Silicone.

http://www.amazon.com/North-272204-B...2382489&sr=8-1

Protecta Plus: a non-greasy, non-irritant barrier cream designed to protect the skin from water, moisture and from water-borne irritants. These irritants include acids, alkalis, electrolyte solutions and wet soils. Protecta Plus is highly water repellent, even after long periods of contact with water.

http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp...=71&page_num=2

That should be perfect for saltwater, but you have to order it from industrial supplies in Australia.

Kerodex - 71 WetWork:

A non-greasy, water repellent cream that protects against irritations caused by acids, alkalies, detergents etc.. Protects 3 to 4 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/KERODEX-WORK-S.../dp/B0006GDAX2

5.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, February 27, 2010
By
E. Gemeinhart "corydors" (Orlando, FL) -

This review is from: KERODEX #71 WET WORK SKIN PROTECTANT CREAM 4 OZ TUBE (Misc.)
Kerodex 71 was recommended by my dermatologist. I usd to work at an aquarium fish store and developed contact dermatitis to something in the water. Had dry, cracked skin with raised, itchy spots. When applied and "cured" as recommended, works wonders and doesn't hurt fish. It is a great product.

Got to like that!!!

Believe it or not diaper rash barrier creams supposedly work.... Makes sense if you think about it.

I'd try one of those above.... Good luck,Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 04-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote