Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana seemed slow.

I guess the numbers say otherwise, but it sure seemed slow today. Salty Dog and I launched at 6:15 from Baby's Beach and headed straight for the pipe. The offshore was blowing of course, but not too bad. Though the direction was a little more out of the south than normal. This made for some really quick drifts over the pipe. Air temp with the wind was cold, but not too bad. Water was about 56º and had a decent stain to it. Offshores died about 8:00 and the onshore started up around 9:30, though it didn't get bad.

The first hour was really slow for me, I had lots of bites, but couldn't stick em. Then the pick started and it was off and on all morning. LONG stretches with out a bite, then a flurry of fish. Went like that until 11:00 when we headed in. I finished with 15 bass (50/50 calico to sand) and a sculpin. Had 2 sandies in the 3lb range, a few shorts, and the rest were cookie cutter 14" fish.

While I threw quite a few colors and styles of baits the 3" and 4" Flurry in Sea Food and Redfish were the ticket for sure. 4"3/4oz leadhead worked for most of the day, though I could've used 1oz early on. I also tried out the Hyspin early on, but the fish kept hitting the blade instead of the bait. Also interesting to note was that I only had one bite that in the middle water column. All the rest were within 10' of the bottom some on the sink, some on the grind.

Overall it was a fun day and it was nice to have some company on the pipe as well. Besides Thi, there was a few other yakers out and couple power boats as well. As icing on the cake we saw 4 gray whales (mom and calf came real close) and some common dolphin.