Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
AirborneYak

NPH 6/1

Met up with Octico- john and Caddisx- Chris at kids beach around 0600 in the morning. Did the morning-crap-before-I-fish ritual and we were off. The goal was to find structure and hopefully some rockies.

The ride out was met with some light swells. I already started to feel the upchuck and hope the nausea would not stay with me the whole time fishing. Chris starts marking 180 feet and him and john starts to look for any blimp on their fish finder hoping to find a group of reds. Since I didnt have a fish finder, I kinda just went with the drift.

I didn't realize how far out I was until John hits me up on the radio asking if I was ok. I wasn't. At this point, the rocking and up and down motion finally reached maximum effectiveness, and I start to dry heave. Lol I started to feel better after my first bite.

i'm not sure how long it took for our first bite, but it was wide open on croakers for a good while. As soon as our line dropped, we'd get hit. It was such a hassle pulling our line up to release and re-rig our line. After the croaker bite shut down, it was back to drifting.

During this lull in activity, the boat traffic starts to pick up. The wake from one charters boats almost capsize a sail boat. For some reason, it seems all a-hole boater was out in full force this morning ,but the reds did start to bite shortly after.

We all start to get hit and pull a red here and there. We worked hard for the little fish we got. Most reds came in the two- taco size. We call it a day and Chris and I starts to head back in first. Chris is good distance from john and I. I decide to try one last time before I go home. I feel a small bite and I start to reel in the dink red on the other end of the line ....but then my line gets straight and tight. I am thinking that I'm stuck on some random rock pile down there and start to curse.

Before I can I even let out an F-bomb, my pole dips and the reel starts screaming as my line shoots downard. Holy crap!! Not this again!! I've got something big at the other end and I have no idea what it is. I start to get dragged and I call Chris on the radio to tell him about this legend I just hooked. John is still rock fishing and said he just hooked a nice size red. My pole is bendo and I'm trying to keep constant pressure. Every time I reeled some line in, I lost about two times that when it made a run for it. Chris ask," is it making a run straight down" and I answer with a nod. We think its a big ass bat at the other end by the way its moving. But you know what? We will never know cause as we are talking about what it might be, the line goes limp. I'm sad again as I realize this is the second time Ive lost a big fish.

I pull up my line to see a dink red on it still. I don't understand. My line didn't break, so what was dragging my line!? Maybe it was just stuck. Or maybe it was the BIGGEST fish that I couldn't caught!! Lol who knows. All in all it was still a great day out in the water. I got to meet a new friend and I got to fish! Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1401671310980.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  38.7 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote