Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
summers in kuwait

9-5-15 La Jolla

Pulled the kayak up to a pretty populated launch around 5am. Most guys were still unloading and getting ready and I paddled out headlamp on. Started making bait and first cast was a solid greenback, so Im thinking alright... easy morning. Well the greenback thrashed the sabiki rig, both hooks in and all kinds of tangled. Kept him for chum and kept working at, I ended up with (3) spanish after a long while... I should have gotten the bait master 500.

Taking my chances, I left the kelp and headed northwest. The week before, there was a really good bite in that area and I figured I'd try it again. Saw bonito and bait action, but passed them by and in about ~150 ft of water, my saltist 20 starts screaming. I reach back, tighten the drag and start cranking. After the first dive, I look to my right and see a whale breaching about 50 yrds away. I pause for a second, smile and take in the splendor thats all around me.
Gaffed, bled, gutted and down below by 8:30am.

Completely content, I head back along the kelp and get short bite near the condo on my second spanish. I threw the last spanish back and landed in mellow conditions.

Fresh collars briefly seared and baked at 350°F to finish. I marinated them with a mix of ginger, honey, soy sauce and spicy mustard.
Then all the fresh sashimi you could want. Sashimi was served with a smear of fresh garlic and a soy/lemon blend.

Cheers!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote