Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My Latest Hobie Revo Mod

As I get to know my Hobie Revolution, I find much to praise but still a few shortcomings. Today I came up with a way to fix one of the problems that has bothered me since I first set this kayak in the water.

While there is plenty of storage space in the Revolution, the only space that is easily accessable while on the water is the area serviced by the center hatch cover. Unfortunately, this area is basically a big open tub. Due to the limiation of the hatch size, you can only reach so far into this opening. In addition, since there are no baffles to keep stuff from sliding from bow to stern, you never know where the things you try to store here will end up.

In addition, I have found that the seals on the hatch covers are not very good so after a surf launch, there is usually a little water in the bottom of the boat and anything that is just set on the plastic usually gets soaked with water.

The solution... create some storage trays that can only move within the center hatch space. Make these trays sit above any standing water and allow for drainage should any water get splashed into the trays.

The project was easy. It took about ten minutes and cost less than $6.

I have posted some photos below.

The first photo shows the the plastic trays I picked up at Target for a couple bucks each.

The second photo shows the optional drain holes drilled into the bottom of each tray.

Photo 3 shows holes drilled into the sides of the trays to allow for the zip ties to bind them together in the final step.

Photo 4 shows the trays being inserted into the kayak, one at a time. It is a tight fit but these trays bend easily and can be forced through the opening.

Photo 5 The trays are in the compartment and holes for the zip ties are aligned.

The last photo shows the trays with the zip ties attach. The tails were trimmed later.

I have not yet tried this system on the water but I believe that it will be the solution to my annoying storage problems.

I have a couple more interesting Revo mods to share with everyone. Stay tuned for the trolling bar with rod holders and the removable rod holder setup that installs in the Hobie cup holder.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Containers-sm.jpg (31.4 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg Drain-holes-sm.jpg (29.2 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg Holes-Drilled-SM.jpg (26.7 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg Inserting-trays-sm.jpg (46.6 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg Trays-in-kayak-sm.jpg (57.1 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg Joining-Trays-sm.jpg (54.7 KB, 479 views)
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote