Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
fearnofish

Newbie looking for Rod and Reel advice

I am a rookie when it comes to saltwater kayak fishing and need some input. I do allot of freshwater bass fishing and can appreciate good equipment. I fish Shimano curado, castaic, and stradic reels mostly on Gloomis rods. I have to say though this saltwater equipment can get out of hand!!

Here is what I have currently for the salt:
Daiwa Saltist STT30TH mounted on a Seeker black steel graphite rod G970-7' 20-25-30lb. I use this mostly for jigs but do some trolling with it also.

Curado 300DSV on a Shimano Teramar inshore series rod. Medium action extra fast 10-20lb. 7'6". This is for the smaller stuff but I do want to hook something a little bigger to see how she holds up!!

Do I have a good start or am I way off base?? I am out here in the AZ desert with no mentor so my meager knowledge all comes from the internet.

I am looking for input on some new gear. Possibly another conventional setup for trolling or live bait. I also want to get a decent spinning setup as well.

Again I know the value of good equipment but don't want to break the bank. Like everyone else I am looking for the best bang for my buck! I only get out a few times a year but maybe some new gear will change that!

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!!
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote