Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
WahooUSMA

Exclamation KayaTank goat*&$!

Need a little assistance from those who have installed or had the KayaTank installed in their Malibu X-Factor. While not too difficult of an installation, it was definitely NOT a Saturday job while enjoying a beer as indicated in the easy to follow instructions. Maybe a handful of Bombay Safire’s might have helped ease my anxiety and stress a littler more than a beer. But then I would not have been able set down my glass since my hands and wrists were consistently covered in Marine Goop (I went through about 10 pairs of rubber gloves). Gloves or no gloves that crap manages to find its way onto everything, especially when trying to get the 3/4in. S/S screws through the deck seal and tank ring seal for the nylon nut to catch a thread on the back side. The screws are just a tad too short! My suggestion; don’t use your high dollar tools when doing this yourself and use a longer screw or rivet.
> >
Actually, I don’t think I would attempt to do this again, period. In fact, I would rather lock myself in a two-bit German whore house vs. attempting this again! Whatever fee OEX charges for the installation is INCONTESTABLY worth it!!!!!!!
> >
My question is this: After following the instructions to the tee, I though it best to drop (figure of speech) the yak in the pool prior to the ocean. However, after letting the system run for over 3 hours, I noticed a pooling of water in the hull, which was not there before. Not a whole lot of water, but there definitely was some. I have no clue as to where the water is coming from. All fittings were double and triple check for tightness, the external screen or pick-up and L-fitting were secured and a final bead of 3M sealant was applied. Further, I allowed for over 48 hours of drying time before putting the yak in the pool. The tank only fills to approximately 2/3 capacity, so water is definitely not escaping between the hatch seal and tank. I do not want to have to remove the tank and re-check the hose fittings at the tank, but if I have to, I will.
> >
Any suggestions?
WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote