Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

Hobie Mirage Kayak Long Term Report

I average about 6 miles per outing. Sometime less, most of the times more. In 2.5 years, I can conservatively say I was out 50% of the time, or every other weekend. 65 weeks x 6 miles = 390 miles. I'd say thats conservative considering I'm out most every weekend 'cept in January and Feb.

On the first year, I tore an ST fin after hitting it on rocks. Cost $ 30 bucks.

Second, last November, the rudder lines and deployment handle broke. I changed them, total cost, about $ 17 bucks. Changing and tuning the rudder lines was a bear

Third, right pedal wobbled and deformed the crank arm hole in January. Made for a disturbing clicking noise while pedalling.

Repaired for $ 40 bucks. I expect the left one to follow suit in 1 or two more years.

Fourth, drive cables became loose around the same time. Tightened them up. Minor adjustments took 20 minutes of painstaking work. Cost FREE. Did a major lube and tightening job too.

Last weekend, front fin and mast pulled out while kayaking. Tune up tutorial says not to touch the set screws for the masts if the drive was working right. So I didnt. Bad mistake. I would have caught the mast slipping out before it deformed the sprocket. CHECK YOURS. Don't over tighten the set screws.

The total fix would have been 10 dollars plus shipping for a new front sprocket. On further inspection, I was able to reinsert the mast and have a functional drive. But both sprockets have loose masts now due to wear and will likely fail in another year. Since Hobie just came out with upgraded sprockets and thread on masts that won't slip out and take the loads better, I upgraded. Total cost $ 80 bucks for two v2.0 sprockets, two v2.0 masts marine trailer bearing grease (if your pulling the sprockets, might as well relube the drive) and loctite for the new thread on masts.

In 2.5 years, total cost, $ 167 dollars, and most of it in the last 6 months. Not too bad. There was never much down time. Parts are easily accessible locally and online.

The only thing that will probably fail now are the chains. Mine have no fraying, just a little rust staining on the ends, but given 3 years and the fact the I had to tighten them already, I'm giving them 1 or 2 more years. That will cost $ 40 bucks.

That is it. I can't say I'm disappointed, its just a hassle to sometimes to have to maintain the drive when my regular kayak is fire and forget.

Last edited by peguinpower; 04-06-2009 at 02:04 PM.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote