Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

4/11 LJ PM Bird chasin' bycatch

Great bird piles out around the NW corner between 4:30 and 6:30. What I saw looked like 15 pound YT. I launched around 3:30. Saw Dennis, Todd and Tyler and Patrick getting ready on the beach. Once past the can I trolled a swimbait on one side and my sabiki on the other. After awhile I picked up a pair of 10-11 inch macs. Put one on top and one with a 2 oz slider. Kept making my way out. Around the 1/2 I started seeing nice pilage out further. I was just inside the corner, heading toward the birds out NW, when my low bait chirped and the rod tip took a few bounces. Waited in freespool for the fish to run and put it in gear. First fish I have caught with a 3/0 circle, so I told myself to let it hook itself. A couple minutes in and my flyline goes off, 3/0 livebait hook. I did not even put it in gear, just let it run and it stopped, so I thought it had popped off. As I got the fish to color a big brown blur apeared right on my fish's tail. I grabbed the gaff and stuck it in the water and swirled it around, I think this was another tip from Pat. Anyway it seemed to spook the sealion and I quickly gaffed my fish. Went to reel in the other line and it started to load up and as I pulled I felt kelp popping and there was still a fish on. It must have wore itself out fighting the kelp because it came right up. I pulled the hook with my dikes and it was bellyup, but kicked until it righted and swam down. I spent the next hour chasing the birds, only getting one decent cast off. No YT this time. Long paddle in, landed after dark. Todd was the only one still out there. Good seeing the PM crew. Tomorrow morning I am taking my wife out there.