Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
carbonbass

One crazy night (with a little bit of fishin) CDM/NPH

Wow, tonight has to be one of the most memorable nights of fishing for me in a long time, i almost got my ass handed to me in the yak, and i kayaked on a water treadmill.

I got off work and got home around 7, I was thinking about CDM kelp all day and how i wanted to try a night bite. I got to K street and launched (didnt want to launch off the wall at M with the water that high.) Wind was up but didnt seem too bad in the harbor, probably would be ok outside.... WRONG. Once i made my way to the CDM kelp i was asking myself (are u fucking crazy justin?) White caps all around me, washing mashine like conditions, and rollers that made me nearly puke my guts out. The wind was just getting worse and worse while i was there. Not exactly easy to fish in conditions like this and i started to fear for the worst especially since the current was sucking me towards the inside of the breakers, so i started to paddle back in.

The paddle was not easy and i took on a lot of water, luckily i think the mini-x is actually a lot more user friendly in these conditions than some of the bigger yaks (think about maneuvering a short board surf board in harsh conditions as opposed to a longboard, much quicker turning and absorption). But nonetheless i was shitting bricks. Really unhappy with myself putting myself into a situation like that.

Once i got inside the harbor mouth i felt a sigh of relief, i was definitely lucky, i hadnt lost anything (including my life :lol: ). But i realized i wasn't relieved yet. Turns out it took so long i got back when the harbor started to drain, the outgoing was incredibly strong, and the current was racing. there were moments when my kayak wasnt moving because i wasnt paddling hard enough.

i finally make it back to about where my car is, and by this time its 1045, it took me over 2 hours to paddle back to my spot, which it took 20 minutes to get to the mouth, my arms were burning!

I start to think about leaving, but i realized i was right next to the moor'd boats, ah what the heck, the currents ripping lets see if anything wants to play. The first drift i got hit 4 times and missed all 4. I reset the drift (about 30 yard drifts) , and got sllammed by a nice 13 or so inch sand bass. I reset the drift again and got hammered by another nice sandie, this one was pushing 17-18 inches, very nice harbor sandie. Did 1 more drift and got a 15 inch class spottie, wow the bass were chewing right in front of my parking spot the whole time :lol: . I was too tired and the current was dying at this point so i decided to call it a night.

Heres the finale and best part of the trip lol. I slide back onto the sand at K street, only to see a dark figure walking up towards me. Great, i realize its one of your typical rich paranoid assholes that newport has to offer.

Rich prick: do you know what time the beach closes.
Me: 10 o' clock, i just got done fishing, i just need to put my kayak on top of my car and ill be out of your way.
Rich prick: Yea your on the beach, and it closes at 10, get out of here before i call the police, they'll help you leave quicker."
Me: you know im allowed to kayak after 10 right?"
Rich prick: but your not allowed on the beach, and your on the beach, ill go call the cops cuz apparently you need to be taught a lesson.
Me: hey, im just trying to fish and have a good time, ill just go home right now its not a big deal.
Rich prick: i know that, but were trying to have a neighborhood and your not allowed here. Alright mr [reads my license plate number] get out of here, and if i ever see you again ill have you arrested for vacancy
Me: you dont have to be such an asshole for no real reason....
Rich prick: your the asshole pal.

Will never forget this insane night of BS + 3 quality bass night
8)

carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote