Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
...and if you can get a camera next time - everybody loves the pictures...
The proof is in the pudding, we just haven't seen any pudding.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
If you have a real honest technique that works and you want to share it that is Excellent - Thanks. That is what this site was probably founded on....Your spoons cost 5 bucks and you can buy online you are not selling them. Frankly all of the complainers should post their best rig/technique for halibut to prove they are not full of hot air...and if you can get a camera next time - everybody loves the pictures...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post

I thought that maybe, just maybe he would have a taken a camera with him the second time.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
tasteslikechikn54

Talking

I might need a beer to go along all of this POPCORN!!!!!

POPCORN BABY!!!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Baja_Traveler

And then there's guys like me who don't own a camera they are willing to take into the wet - I gotta get one of those splash proof point & shoots one of these days...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
maui jim

My best ever Halibut day is 18 legals in 4 hours..., and I only kept 3, over 32". my super secret spot in the LBC. 3 years ago, in 12 ft of water George and no trap hook....
Hit the right day and spot, and the spawn is on ,and it's magic.....It was so fun I took my Uncle Chuck the next morning for another 3 ...

My secret bait.... live smelt.... which is FREE!!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Getting carried away on either side of this has nothing but entertainment value. Suggesting that the guy said he gave away (you donate to charity) a 100# Halibut is about as true as suggesting that asking for more proof than a newbies word is the same as some petty jealousy. In this day and age, the proof is in the pictures (I know about Photoshop etc. but the tech guys tend to work those out anyway). To make these kinds of claims and attribute it to a specific product brand, you better have some proof or reputation preceeding you or expect to be grilled.

That some people choose methods tailored less for numbers than for size does not mean that they are unable to ravage fish populations, just that they choose not to. I personally admire Halibut fishermen that take steps to avoid catching short fish. And claims of what used to happen in yesteryear do not necessarily hold any water on what can happen today.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
thien

For what its worth, I think he meant he gave away about 100lbs of hali meat. Not that he actually caught a 100lb halibut.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thien View Post
For what its worth, I think he meant he gave away about 100lbs of hali meat. Not that he actually caught a 100lb halibut.

Whoa!!!! That's true! But you should never let truth get in the way of a good web lynching.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Getting carried away on either side of this has nothing but entertainment value. Suggesting that the guy said he gave away (you donate to charity) a 100# Halibut is about as true as suggesting that asking for more proof than a newbies word is the same as some petty jealousy. In this day and age, the proof is in the pictures (I know about Photoshop etc. but the tech guys tend to work those out anyway). To make these kinds of claims and attribute it to a specific product brand, you better have some proof or reputation preceeding you or expect to be grilled.

That some people choose methods tailored less for numbers than for size does not mean that they are unable to ravage fish populations, just that they choose not to. I personally admire Halibut fishermen that take steps to avoid catching short fish. And claims of what used to happen in yesteryear do not necessarily hold any water on what can happen today.
Greg, he didn't say he gave away 100# Halibut, he said he gave away 100#'s WORTH OF Halibut.
Just want to make sure we have the facts down, I'm not defending either side just pointing out the grammatical confusion

Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Greg, he didn't say he gave away 100# Halibut, he said he gave away 100#'s WORTH OF Halibut.
Just want to make sure we have the facts down, I'm not defending either side just pointing out the grammatical confusion
I realize that it is a run-on-sentence, but you should read it again cause that is exactly what I said.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
thien

Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

What happened to "integrity"?

How about we have enough respect for a man and assume he is a self respecting honest man until he proves otherwise?

The alternative, thinking that everyone is a liar first is a really sucky way to go.

Just because I never had a day like the man described does not mean he did not.

Having said all that, man........please put up some more info I want to learn about this.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thien View Post
Yes, that's what he said but even if he did he would have to have caught *at least*:

*20 barely legal hali's
*10 that measured no less than 30inches
*5 that were in the mid to high 30inches
*3 that measured at least 40inches
You see where I'm going with this? If he caught any of what I listed these spoons should be banned.

Do I catch a lot of hali's? Yes I do. I have proof if anyone needs it.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Drake

Quote:
Getting carried away on either side of this has nothing but entertainment value. Suggesting that the guy said he gave away (you donate to charity) "a" 100# Halibut is about as true as suggesting that asking for more proof than a newbies word is the same as some petty jealousy. .
Quote:
I realize that it is a run-on-sentence, but you should read it again cause that is exactly what I said.
Quote:
I did get a heck of a lot of shorts but I also managed to donate close to 100-lb of Halibut over the last two days.
Mr Andrew, the word "of" implies multiple Halibut

If I say I went to the grocery store and bought 10lbs of oranges, did I buy 1 10lb orange, or 10lbs WORTH of oranges.

Sorry, but it does not read like you have interpreted it. In your response you used "a" which I pointed out for you, implying you were under the impression it was 1x 100# Halibut. I'm confused on your defense.

However, I'm not here to get into a debate over grammar. Good day sir.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think its a little to late for that.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
GregAndrew

Quote:

If I say I went to the grocery store and bought 10lbs of oranges, did I buy 1 10lb orange, or 10lbs WORTH of oranges.

Sorry, but it does not read like you have interpreted it. In your response you used "a" which I pointed out for you, implying you were under the impression it was 1x 100# Halibut. I'm confused on your defense.

No need for the condecending gradeschool grammar lesson. If you were to read it again, you might see the words "is about as true" in the sentence that you are paraphrasing. This would indicate that I believe both the statement and the idea mentioned to be untrue. Unless of course you believe one or both of them to be true in themselves.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:

A 10 pound orange?????......I call bs without pics!
Good day!..... you sexy ass mofo
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Here's the PUDDING!!!

All 30#s of it!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
All 30#s of it!!!

Ha ha ha ha!!!! LMFAO!!!! That is hilarious. I'm getting an order of those spoons, for sure. What's the website again???
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
In all fairness.....

Actually he's shown some pudding in the past....
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12064

"I cought this fellow off of the red buoy between Shelter Isl and the Carrier parking lot. He took a Mack + small green skirt and Watermelon dodger off of a downrigger"

He was using a downrigger while skiff trolling in the same area for that fish.

If you can read between the lines he's using various classic Salmon downrigger trolling techniques for halibut. He's not the first to do it, and it does work. It's basically the same idea as bounce balling. I've personally fish similar spoons to the ones he describes and caught Salmon threshers and halibut locally with them.

He may be exaggerating slightly, but trollijng from a skiff you can put a lot of fish on deck if you have them zero'd in and they are in the mood. I've had my 20+ fish days fishing halibut. It's not impossible or unheard of.

I think sometimes people get used to fishing one way in one area and they think that's the only way to fish. May work for them but it's just not true.

Just saying...

Now let the lynching resume
Closed Thread