Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Ya Will, straddling the kayak and moving toward the bow would give you access to get all the water out. through the years I have had long stretches of carrying a hand pump and not. Right now it is along every trip. These are great posts to share and learn from. I have never flipped in open water, but a couple weeks ago a sealion pup tried to climb aboard from the side and scared the shit out of me as nothing was lashed down. I had my i phone out, no rods leashed, my good camera.............not life threatening but freaked me out as to how expensive it could have been.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Ya Will, straddling the kayak and moving toward the bow would give you access to get all the water out. through the years I have had long stretches of carrying a hand pump and not. Right now it is along every trip. These are great posts to share and learn from. I have never flipped in open water, but a couple weeks ago a sealion pup tried to climb aboard from the side and scared the shit out of me as nothing was lashed down. I had my i phone out, no rods leashed, my good camera.............not life threatening but freaked me out as to how expensive it could have been.
In this situation I don't think i could have straddled up the hull. Not in open water anyway. With the chop and how unstable the
Kayak was from beyond swamped I could barely sit in the seat. Possibly in the kelp? Either way I'll be picking one up in the next few days

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
wade

Sorry to hear of your troubles glad your Ok. Good thing the rapewhistle worked out for ya..Some people arent so lucky.. Myself included..Ive tried to hail up a passer by with the whistle in the past and sometimes even a small outboard can overpower the whistle otw. Ive have had to help countless people over the years from taking on water due to drain plugs, scupper hole issues, gaskets, hatches, ect and one thing that has helped speed up rescue, is not clamping/gooping my bilge pump to my livewell. When someone is in need, I quickly detatch my hose and plug the pump into their center hatch or stern and expell over the side or into scuppers, while also using a hand bilge pump as backup..be ready..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote