Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
roadx

Hobie Pro Angler 12 rudder mod

i made a new larger rudder for the PA 12. it was made out of lexan (polycarbonate) the process took about an hour to made and another hour to fit.

sorry for the crappy cell phone pic's

testing it out tomorrow for bug hunt'n
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

Very nice job....I am sure that idea will be borrowed...thanks for sharin'
I don't have a PA...yet, but I would do that
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Divad

x2 on the design. Now you got me thinking , And I haven't even had my PA 12 in the water yet.
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
RockyRaab

I wanted to install an anchor trolley on my Hobie Prangler 14, but didn't especially want to drill any more holes in it. The front and rear carry handles suggested an option, and a bit of household wiring provided the means. I simply loosened the handle bolt and slipped the hooked ends of a short piece of wire underneath. I got the pulleys at the hardware store for less than three bucks. (I boat only in freshwater, so I didn't need to spring for stainless steel pulleys.) Here's the front handle:

And here's the rear:

From here on, the rigging is pretty standard. If you are looking for a quick and inexpensive way to rig an anchor trolley, I hope this helps.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
tacklebox
I got gas!

Not sure if this is an innovation but I put some of that tape for your thumb or fingers 12'', 14'', 22'' and 28'' up on my fishing rod so I can easily determine if the fish are legal or not. Has been on there for about 2 months. Im sure electric tape would work good too.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
Not sure if this is an innovation but I put some of that tape for your thumb or fingers 12'', 14'', 22'' and 28'' up on my fishing rod so I can easily determine if the fish are legal or not. Has been on there for about 2 months. Im sure electric tape would work good too.
I was thinking of actually using a magic marker to make very small hashmark lines on the side of my yak as a ruler. Same idea...
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
I always mark my Kayak with lengths that are important. I use a perm. marker and I start at an easy location and then mark all the way up to 32" I have tried those stick on rulers, and they have not worked too well. I have carried a ruler thing with me and it's just another gaget on to have to carry. Mark your boat and even if you sell the thing it's marked for the guy buying it from you. If needs be the marker can be taken off also.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
ROOKIE87

here is the front view. Changed the chair, put off road lights, and got it wrapped. Also got the ram mount for my transducer to hang off the side, and hid the 12v in my tackle box in the middle of the kayak. My electrical has all lazer etched switches for each light and have a usb cord if I need to charge my phone, you can see how neat the wiring is in picture 3.

Last edited by ROOKIE87; 02-26-2014 at 12:50 PM.
ROOKIE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
ccacher1

I didn't want to drill a hole in my kayak to put my live well pump switch on so I needed a different way to cover the switch. Just a female and male PVC cap fitted together with the switch inside. I'm sure someone sells something like this but I figured I'd make one out of PVC for a dollar.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Bigfish
Junior

Pro Angler 14 dual seats Innovation

Pro Angler 14 Dual seats/tandumn seats.
This is such a big boat, why be selffish
share a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131231_170015.jpg (54.3 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg 20140101_101235.jpg (75.2 KB, 805 views)
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
Pro Angler 14 Dual seats/tandumn seats.
This is such a big boat, why be selffish
share a ride.
interresting....
Old 03-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

OHHHHH CRAP!

OH my my my What do I do, im to far out to turn back I wont make it. My legs are shaking, im in a wet suit or waders and im going into labor.

DUN DUN DUNNNN INTRODUCING THE NEW HOBIEWANand2KANOBIE.

Look at the pictures and figure it out, no instructions included. For the wan use the hose, for the 2 hold your nose.

Close the lid and stop water from going into the kayak

The Pro anglers cutting board changes to a magazine/newspaper table

For hobie kayaks only

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14

Last edited by ChristLike; 03-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Big T
Member, You Member!

Hahahahahhahahaha!!! That innovation is the shit!!!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
Rambo

umbrella as a bimini on the PA14

Cheapest way to have a big shade on the PA14. less than 30 dollar, umbrella 60" or larger, foam to keep it in place.

Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
boxturtle

reel covers

not my original idea but didn't see anybody post it yet. They work great especially for the bigger reels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_5_1_PurpleBag_hero_656x416.jpg (69.4 KB, 1331 views)
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
Parrotfish-Paul
Junior

Add on to the stealth 12.

Grabbing extra poles are easy from the stock rear holders, But being a short person I had problems reaching my extra poles, net or gaff from the stock front pole holders. The 2012 has threaded inserts behind the seat so with a piece of aluminum square stock screwed into them and four scotty mounts I fixed that problem. Now i can reach all my gear from behind me. this is what the finished product looks like.

Having four additional mounts without drilling any holes in the kayak makes it easy to change the layout when needed. This also makes it easy to remove if I were to sell it to someone that didn't want the extra mounts behind them. Also with the built in bait well I don't need to reach behind me for a bait bucket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0334.jpg (84.8 KB, 779 views)
Parrotfish-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
619-SWIM-DOG

Had to redo PVC Rod holder on the yak. It works great and gives you back support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.8 KB, 662 views)
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Deamon

Painted black! Much better than pvc white!!! Good job Nick! Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #19
Fishy Business
No Pray, No Pay!!

some great ideas, thank you...
Fishy Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
surfrider
Newby

Fish Bag!

After almost losing my YT to a Hammer, while on a fish clip a couple weeks back, I decided to get an insulated fish bag to accommodate my long paddles in hot temps and sharky waters. Found a nice product on Amazon for $120, but procrastinated too long before ordering and wanted to fish last weekend. So, I went to Lowes and bought some reflective insulation material, Silicone caulk, Velcro pads, and foil tape. $35 and an hour later, I had a Redneck fish bag to fit perfectly in the rear and under the bungies of my Stealth-14! I took (2) 7lb bags of ice; which I kept below in a collapsible cooler in the front hatch, until needed. After picking up a small YT and a Bonito, I emptied one bag of ice in the foil bag along with the bled fishes. 2 nice 15-16lb YT tail and a Bonito later, I added the second bag of ice. Caught a 3rd respectable yellowtail on the paddle in, which I slid under the bag, being it was already bulging! I did roll it in the surf, not surprising with my heavily loaded yak plus the added 80lbs of fish in the trunk. BUT, surprising the bag held up nicely, and was floating alongside and easy to retrieve. Had to look around for a minute to find the "loose" YT being tossed in the surf; which a nice gal retrieved for me, during this sharky "closed-beach" day in LaJolla! After a 10 hour day on the water, I still had a 3/4 bag of un-melted ice, and the fish were nice and cool. The only difficulty was cleaning the bag.... which I expected would be a one-time disposable and shreaded from fins anyhow? I simply opened up one long seam to wash thoroughly which I will later need to retape. Caulk did not do much for adding strength, but did keep the blood and fish juices from draining through the scupper! Also on a bad fish day, it could double as a tanning reflector..... or on a real bad day, a good way to signal aircraft or give a shark something to chew on (maybe they love popping bubbles too?)!

P.S. cooler in the pic is Mega-size with a 39" I.D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150831_094516_resized.jpg (100.8 KB, 1040 views)
File Type: jpg fish.jpg (105.4 KB, 1038 views)
surfrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas