Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
twitchy

I went from an X- Factor to an Outback so there is no weight diff for me. I have only been out on it three times and it is awesome..... The launch is fine, if you wade out into a couple feet you can use the mirage drive... Paddling out is easy as well. That landing is definitely more challenging, the Outback doesn't track as well as other yaks that I have used. I am sure with time I will get used to it, but the pro's far outweigh the con's. Plus you can text and drive and its not illegal... Go get one.
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I use the peddles going in and out! I do bungie them though just in case I fall off. I just have the extra strain of the bungie but that is easily overcome.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Lets_Fish

Weight? More like hull design & width!

I recently switched over from a paddle kayak (Hobie Quest & Malibu X-13) to a Hobie Outback. I'm loving it!

Now to the question at hand. I think if you do a little research on the weight of most kayaks that are used on this board you will find that they are relatively the same weight (say in the 60 lbs class) except the Pro Angler at around 80 lbs I believe. So to me the weight would not be the issue as there are other things that would sway me more like hull design (flat vs. "V") and width (wide vs. narrow).

Once you find what you like in a kayak and learn how to handle it through the surf the more satisfied you will be or maybe not. It's all up to you!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Kahouna

I have only made a couple landings with an outfitter. First one was an ankle slapper and I just peddled in. Second was 4-6 footers and I came in backwards. Both times the drive was in and strapped, rudder up, paddle in hand.

When I came in backwards, I never touched the drive and paddled backwards between waves keeping straight out the entire time. Very boring after watching the rental crowd eat it almost every time.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote