Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
nickc5

20-26th March SPRING BREAK GONZAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Putting aside the racist comment of "it is not Middle East", there are good reasons that you should be concerned about.

There are a lot people that are killed in Mexico due to drug issues. Heck the gangs in LA kill people. So violence is not exclusive to Middle East. It can happen anywhere.

In my case it was the lack of language that I was most concerned about.

You are in a different country. The rules maybe different. The road side service can be at best far from where may need it, if there are any.

I was in the same "kayak" as you are, until I carpooled with Bob on my first trip.

For the second trip, I drove, but again in caravan with Bob leading the way.

I now feel more comfortable, but I still would not do it alone.

He had to be "that guy". There's always the tool who puts their 2 cents in.

And yes. Very valid points. I use to travel to Mexico several times out of the year before the cartel madness. Yes, it's slowed down, but I still haven't been there (on land) in 8 years.

Traveling with someone is the ONLY way to have some peace of mind when traveling into a different country. Oo, not to mention the 700+ miles trek to and from Gonzaga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #22
nickc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by farreola View Post
You can caravan with the group. It is pretty safe drive, especially in a large group.

Yes. This is what I was anticipating on. But if I have my "ins", I should be fine though. 😉

nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Putting aside the racist comment of "it is not Middle East", there are good reasons that you should be concerned about.

There are a lot people that are killed in Mexico due to drug issues. Heck the gangs in LA kill people. So violence is not exclusive to Middle East. It can happen anywhere.

In my case it was the lack of language that I was most concerned about.

You are in a different country. The rules maybe different. The road side service can be at best far from where may need it, if there are any.

I was in the same "kayak" as you are, until I carpooled with Bob on my first trip.

For the second trip, I drove, but again in caravan with Bob leading the way.

I now feel more comfortable, but I still would not do it alone.

Not sure how my comment was racist. If calling a region or country dangerous is racist then Im probably not the only one. You called mexico and the US both dangerous but I did not call you a racist. To me racism means hating or discriminating against an entire race. Maybe it means something else to you. In no way would I ever hate or discriminate anyone from another area. And to the "tool" comment from the other dude, No response needed.

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #24
Mahigeer

"So violence is not exclusive to Middle East. It can happen anywhere."

I did not single out US or Mexico. There is violence everywhere in the world.
Some areas more than others.

As I said before, I now feel much more comfortable with traveling to Baja with a car.

I have also carpooled to much farther south on the Pacific side and been to Cedros Island as well. I had a great time fishing and did not encounter any problems.

Be sure to get the car insurance if driving and make sure your car is in good shape. Caravan with Bob and catch some fish.

I am cool with YakDot. All is good.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 02-19-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #25
Dannowar

It's spring break. Show us your tits or stfu. All of you.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
jorluivil

I feel more comfortable driving through Baja at night than eating at a Mc Donalds in DC.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:46 AM   #27
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Every time I see these threads about the dangers of traveling in Mexico I am torn as to whether I should respond or not. I personally like the fact that many gringos have this fear and trepidation about traveling down here. While it is a selfish attitude, the lack of tourists enhances my lifestyle. I have been traveling Baja for a lot of years and have not had one incident involving police, or violence. For every episode of that gets sensationalized in the press and media, I can give you 5 first hand experiences when the people of Mexico have gone out of their way to assist this old language challenged gringo. One cannot stop along the side of the highway for a pit stop or a dog walk and have a car pass by without stopping to make sure you are OK. Unless of course that passing car is a gringo. I have had two vehicle issues in all my driving down here. One flat tire and one dead battery. Both times a local would not necessarily ask if I needed help; they would just flat take ownership of the problem and not move on ne until it was fixed. Driving to o a Laker game is when I get scared. Driving through Irvine after a little rain gives me nightmares.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:57 AM   #28
YakDout
Brandon

20-26th March SPRING BREAK GONZAGA

Thank you Rossman, I am glad someone on the other side chimed in. And coming from someone who lives down there makes your response much more valuable.

Although I too do not always chime in. Half the time I leave people with their fearful thoughts.

Last edited by YakDout; 02-20-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #29
MrPukaShell

Here and I thought you were just a fishing guru. This is just classic, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Every time I see these threads about the dangers of traveling in Mexico I am torn as to whether I should respond or not. I personally like the fact that many gringos have this fear and trepidation about traveling down here. While it is a selfish attitude, the lack of tourists enhances my lifestyle. I have been traveling Baja for a lot of years and have not had one incident involving police, or violence. For every episode of that gets sensationalized in the press and media, I can give you 5 first hand experiences when the people of Mexico have gone out of their way to assist this old language challenged gringo. One cannot stop along the side of the highway for a pit stop or a dog walk and have a car pass by without stopping to make sure you are OK. Unless of course that passing car is a gringo. I have had two vehicle issues in all my driving down here. One flat tire and one dead battery. Both times a local would not necessarily ask if I needed help; they would just flat take ownership of the problem and not move on ne until it was fixed. Driving to o a Laker game is when I get scared. Driving through Irvine after a little rain gives me nightmares.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #30
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Nick5, Baja is fun and normally safe. Most problems are actually ADVENTURES which is why I go to BAJA in the first place. Like Rossman I enjoy the people and country. It is safer to caravan in a group the first few times, but you will also enjoy the solo trips. Speaking spanish is good but not nessessary as these are friendly people. RESPECT goes a long way. IF you get your paperwork together then I can provide the transportation for my SPRING BREAK TRIP. Split the fuel and plan on cooking one nights meal for everyone or paying for our dinner at the restaurant. Fuel usually cost more then the one dinner you provide the crew. Unless you loose a lot of fishing tackle or are a heavy drinker these trips usually cost less then $250.00 for the week.
Just got back, last week the weather was nice. TWO days no wind, one great morning with afternoon winds at 15 mph. ONE windy day 15-20. Then 3 no wing days. Temps in the mid to high 70's. Nights 45-55. Beautiful sun rises, some fish. Bass, sierra (small) Cabrilla in the 5-20 pound class. AND Orange Mouth Corvina up to 10+ pounds from the beach. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #31
EastLosYaker

Hey Bob, If it's not too early to sign up for the food nights, can I take Monday the 21st?
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #32
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
Hey Bob, If it's not too early to sign up for the food nights, can I take Monday the 21st?
You got it Kevin. Fishing is already heating up.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #33
farreola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
It's spring break. Show us your tits or stfu. All of you.
I'll take the beads!!!
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #34
BigTunaL

Gentlemen, I would love to join one one of the upcoming trips but I can only do 3 days. Is that doable? I camp with my son once a month (YMCA adventure guides) so I have my camping gear. I have a 4x4 truck, speak OK Spanish, lived in the Middle East -Mexico doesn't scare me - and drove to Ensenada few times.

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #35
makobob
Baitless on Baja

You can do 3 days, leave early morning, leave San Diego by 5 am or earlier, cross border 7:30, drive to San Felipe, arrive 10 am. Drive to my place an arrive about NOON. Fish afternoon. Fish next day, then drive home day 3. Lots of driving but you can fish a day and a half.
So you drive down with us and leave early coming back. Easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTunaL View Post
Gentlemen, I would love to join one one of the upcoming trips but I can only do 3 days. Is that doable? I camp with my son once a month (YMCA adventure guides) so I have my camping gear. I have a 4x4 truck, speak OK Spanish, lived in the Middle East -Mexico doesn't scare me - and drove to Ensenada few times.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #36
farreola

Bob I just realized my Spring Break is later this year. I get out until the 24th, so I will be driving down on the 24th and driving back who knows when. I have the entire following week off!!!
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #37
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by farreola View Post
Bob I just realized my Spring Break is later this year. I get out until the 24th, so I will be driving down on the 24th and driving back who knows when. I have the entire following week off!!!
See you then.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #38
TheBoyScout

this looks awesome, coincidentally it is my spring break at CSUSM! What are the details on this how much does it cost? Fish being targeted? (are there yellowtail?) Also I would like to ride with someone if i went but I could possibly bring the family mini van that could take 2 kayaks....
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #39
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
this looks awesome, coincidentally it is my spring break at CSUSM! What are the details on this how much does it cost? Fish being targeted? (are there yellowtail?) Also I would like to ride with someone if i went but I could possibly bring the family mini van that could take 2 kayaks....

yellowtail you say? no there's no stinking yellowtail in mexico.

I remember my last trip with Bob catching close to 25 of them in one day, my arms were about to fall off.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #40
Dannowar

Bob! Me plus two!! Can't wait!!