Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
-scallywag-
Banned

I would be looking at the tide and wind data to try to calculate where it could be now....probably on the shore at N-island....time to pay off the house baby!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
lpf-wildlandfire
Junior

welcome to the identify that rock

thats a pumis rock seen a few of them floting around not ever that big tho 1 i see where like this big
lpf-wildlandfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
peguinpower
bing!

Holy floating stones Batman!

California-Oregon-Washington Stock
Sperm whales are found year-round in California waters, but they reach peak abundance from April through mid-June and from the end of August through mid-November. They were seen in every season except winter (Dec-Feb) in Washington and Oregon.

8. FINDING LARGE PIECES OF AMBERGRIS IN THE SEA
Whole blocks of amber are often found in the open sea. Since the blocks have roughly the same density as sea water, they are sometimes almost completely immersed and can only be seen intermittently. Frequently, one can locate the blocks without actually seeing them due to their being surrounded by a calm area of sea similar to that which might be produced by a spillage of oil. This zone is also identifiable by the odour of amber and whale excrement.

If it smells like chit, that there is good shiat.

3 feet across, that thing is probably worth more than $ 600,000.

However,

" it is unlawful to possess, sell, deliver, carry, transport, or ship by any means whatsoever any parts or products of an endangered species taken within the United States. Ambergris, a secretion of the sperm whale intestine, is regarded as a marine mammal product by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Possession of it is prohibited by the Endangered Species Act of 1973"

/bing

Last edited by peguinpower; 02-12-2010 at 07:44 PM.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #24
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Hmmmmmmmmm.... lets see... floating rock worth $600,000.... take the 5 lobster, divide that... that's $120,000 per bug. Hope they tasted good!

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
T Bone

Dude thats pumice.... Its allways nice to dream of treasure.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #26
Gino

Quote:
" it is unlawful to possess, sell, deliver, carry, transport, or ship by any means whatsoever any parts or products of an endangered species taken within the United States. Ambergris, a secretion of the sperm whale intestine, is regarded as a marine mammal product by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Possession of it is prohibited by the Endangered Species Act of 1973"

/bing
Ambergris was only put on that Act becuase it used to be aquired by hunting sperm whales, In 2001 that was overturned, becuase Ambergris is naturally expeled from the whale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris

As of 2006, raw ambergris fetched approximately US$10 per gram, with much higher prices possible for particularly high-quality samples.[4][5] In the United States, importing, buying, or selling ambergris — including ambergris that had washed ashore — was considered a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972.[6] In 2001 this ruling was overturned, and ambergris was deemed not to be a byproduct of the whaling industry, since the whale expels this substance naturally.[citation needed]

Go get em!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
peguinpower
bing!

thanks for the ban lifting info. good stuff. /bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #28
ericko

Bob ?

Bob i cant believe u have no in put on this matter, come on you must of had an idea for shem to go back and get his floating gold hmmmmm maybe a rope and pull it back like a tug boat...I cant catch fish so i dont no what is harder to bring back.
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #29
frugalfisher

Seriously as soon as I saw the pic I said "It's Ambergris"

Never seen any but I've heard of it. Damn.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #30
Sherm

I'm pretty sure that was pumice (spelling?) It didn't have an odor and sure felt like rock when I pushed it with the paddle. Nice to dream though.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #31
Willy

It's pumice. Sorry guys.

If it were formed within an animal, the striations would be in a concentric form, not stacked in sedimentry layers as the rock in the picture.

Think about an object formed in the space of an organ, the layers would build around a nucleus, like a hailstone or comet, or gobstopper.

Then look at the lines in this rock. If it is from a whale, it is a small piece of a super sized nugget.

Cool find Sherm! Too bad you couldn't pick it up anyway, you'd have scrubbing stones for life.

Nice bugs too!

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #32
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
It's pumice. Sorry guys.

If it were formed within an animal, the striations would be in a concentric form, not stacked in sedimentry layers as the rock in the picture.

Think about an object formed in the space of an organ, the layers would build around a nucleus, like a hailstone or comet, or gobstopper.

Then look at the lines in this rock. If it is from a whale, it is a small piece of a super sized nugget.

Cool find Sherm! Too bad you couldn't pick it up anyway, you'd have scrubbing stones for life.

Nice bugs too!

Willy

The sediment lines are what make me think pumice as well. It was fun to think about it though. Knowing where i was and tide movement i bet I could find the shoreline it's washed up on.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #33
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
The sediment lines are what make me think pumice as well. It was fun to think about it though. Knowing where i was and tide movement i bet I could find the shoreline it's washed up on.
Sperm whales are huge, and I bet they have a big stomach. However unlikely it could well be just a small chunk of a much larger piece.

My take is that if you go get it you'll end up with one of two things: Either you'll have a cool lightweight rock, that will make a great conversation piece, that you can put in front of your house as landscaping, or you'll have enough cash to get a cool new house to landscape.

I'd say it's worth a second look either way.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #34
Useful Idiot

I say half digested sea turtle shell.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #35
FISHIONADO

Pumice comes from lava flow, no sediment lines. There were so many kayaks searching the mouth of the bay yesterday the Coast Guard had to come and disperse us so the USS Nimitz could get back to its dock.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #36
Matt
Support your local pangas

hmmmmmm........wasn't something like this in a movie once???
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #37
Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Pumice comes from lava flow, no sediment lines.
True,
However it can have the look of a sedimentary rock, as lava flows layer on top of each other.
There are pumice layers in the Japanese islands and Taiwan that have thin layers of pumice strata.
I guess you could call it an igneous, sedimentary rock.
There is a chance this rock floated from the far west side of the Pacific. Especially during this El Nino.

Funny that there were so many boats out looking for it!
Sherm your post went viral!

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #38
FISHIONADO

The number of boats searching for it today was ridiculous. It basically shut down the entrance to the bay. I heard one cargo ship threatening to plow through but he never did. A woman on a Harbor Cruise went into labor and they couldn't get back to port so her baby girl was delivered near Ballast Point. Even the Navy and Coast Guard and Harbor Patrol guys were searching for it. Oh well, I hope someone finds it soon.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #39
sterling

This will make for a great April fools! Having a ton of people out there searching for fools gold.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #40
j mo

sorry for "jacking" your thread Sherm.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote