Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #101
YakDout
Brandon

What kind of truck did you get bob? I'm online at hotel serenidad in muleje right now.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #102
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I got a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab Long bed 4x4 Super duty. Twin batteries, twin 220 amp alternators. 18" wheels should get me there, where ever there IS. BAJA or BUST!!!

So as the guys let me know where they want to go, it is game on. Time to explore the Baja, one road at a time.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #103
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Yes you and gratefull will ride with me. Guessing it will cost less than $70 each for fuel. We will figure it out as we get closer.
Thanks.

I will get in touch with more questions as we get close.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #104
Dannowar

I'm also headed down in October. Gonna camp and probably early in the month. Hope there's some fish left for you guys
Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #105
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Six of us will be killing it at our place in the second week of September. We expect all the exotics should be there by then. So many fish, so little time. WOW thats only a month out. How time flies. Note to self, remember the FLY ROD. Tight lines. DO NOT MISS THIS SUMMER. You will be talking about it for the rest of your life.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #106
Mahigeer

Well, last night I gently broke the news about my trip to the Mrs.
No objection and I am go 100% barring unforeseen events. This morning I watched a show by Stoked On Fishing about a boat trip to Gonzaga.
I am getting a list together as well as a list of questions. I would like to post it here if it is ok with Bob, so others can benefit from them.

Otherwise, I can PM it to Bob if he prefers.

I also found this on YouTube to get us excited about the trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9Kr9GtJS0

This is the first of a series.

Thanks for the putting up team Sewer.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 08-15-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #107
makobob
Baitless on Baja

[QUOTE=Mahigeer;237742]Well, last night I gently broke the news about my trip to the Mrs.

Not a problem if you post here. That way everyone can help answer.
Looking at the SEWER video is always fun. Yep some of us have BEEN THERE, AND DONE THAT. AND most of us keep coming back for more.
Join the club and enjoy Baja. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #108
Mahigeer

Red face

The questions below are for those of us who have never been to Gonzaga. Some may seem too obvious, but I rather ask to make sure everything goes smooth on the trip. Thanks for your help.fficeffice" />>>
If the answers are below each question and with different color, it will stand out and easy to follow.>>
>>
>>
Q: Where and when do we meet? Can I meet you at your house to transfer my gear? I need extra time before the group meets to load up your car.>>
>>
Q: is there a safe place to leave my SUV while I am gone? >>
>>
Q: Will we be stopping to get Pesos, or should I buy them before hand?>>
>>
Q: Once we are there; is there a place to get ice and or water? Perhaps at a walking distance.>>
>>
Q: Should I (may I) bring a vacuum pack devise to preserve fish fillets? It would require ice to keep them fresh until I get home.>>
>>
Q: Buddha has offered to cook for me if I provide groceries. Is there a place to buy them on the way? >>
If so I need to contact Buddha as what to get and how much of it. I can also pay for the food at the restaurant.>>
>>
Q: Is there power at the house, besides generator?>>
>>
Q: What to bring for sleeping? Tent, cot, sleeping bag, etc.>>
>>
Q: I know about the very reasonable fee for the domestic water usage. What are the bathroom arrangements?>>
>>
Q: Can you list the fish that is not allowed to be kept in Mexico? I know the daily bag limit is five (5) fish of the same species for the total of ten (10) total. Dorado has a limit of two (2). I can post a complete regulation, but it does not indicate what species are protected.>>
>>
Q: Do you take any bait from US? Is that allowed?>>
>>
>>
Q: Do I need to bring a kayak cart? Regular or Wheeleez?

There may be more questions later if it is ok.>>
>>
Thanks.>>
>>

P.S. How can I prevent the icons (ffic office, >>) from showing up each time I post?

Last edited by Mahigeer; 08-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 PM   #109
Mahigeer

Looking forward to make the trip with Bob and Gr8fuldude.

I will be bringing a fly rod as well, same as Gr8fuldude.

With Bob's new truck and Gr8's ability to speak Spanish, we are in good (ney) great hands.

Can a new list of anglers that going be posted? I know it may change, but it is good to know somewhat right now.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #110
Gr8fuldude

[QUOTE=Mahigeer;237802] With Bob's new truck and Gr8's ability to speak Spanish, we are in good (ney) great hands.

No te preocupes, amigo (Don't worry bud). I don't think speaking spanish is all that necessary to have fun and be safe in Baja. Besides, it appears Makobob has more Baja driving experience than a lot of Baja natives .
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #111
Mahigeer

As a former Boy Scout I like to be prepare as much as I can in different situations.

Perhaps during the long drive I could learn more Spanish from you.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #112
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Mr Pukashell
YakDout
Svendawg
Buddha
Danjor
Defjack
SoCalYak
Mahigeer
Monstahfish
Gr8fuldude

These are the people I show as being in on this trip. Help an old man out, If I missed you please let me know you soonest, if you cannot go please let me know so others might take your spot.

As to Hashem's questions. Hashem and Gr8ful will meet me at my house no later than 3:30 am on the morning of 17 October, The rest will meet us at Johnnys Shell station in El Cajon no later than 5am. 693 Hillside terrace #5a, Vista 92084, is my address. Johnnys shell is at 67 and N. Magnolia ave 515 N. Magnolia in El Cajon just off of the 8. There is off street parking for Hashem ang Gr8ful at my place.
We will not be stoping for pesos. Your USD will spend in Baja but the rate might sufferso if you want pesos you need to get them before the trip.
Once we get to my place the nearest place to buy anything is in Gonzaga about 10 miles by road, so you need to bring everything you need. We usually make 2-3 ice runs during the trip. They do have water, soda, beer but at a preimum.
If you want to vacuum bag that is up to you. Usually the first half of the trip we only keep fish for meals. The last half we keep fish to come home. Bring lots of bags as others will want to use your bagger too.
Buying groceries on the way is a no go. You will be taking fishing time from everyone. Get everything you need before leaving San Diego.
WE are 95 miles from electrical power. My generator is large enough for our needs. Bring a POWER STRIP and your chargers. Power is usually run late afternoon until bed time.
Bathrooms???? this is Baja so the restroom in quaint, flush toilet, and shower, not hot and cold. Thereare also the same at thr resturant and he rents palaps for $30 a night with room for 3-4 people which includes showers and toilet. If we eat at the restraunt and bring the meat they will charge $5.00 per person for cooking plus rice, beans whatever they have, salsa tortillas. You pay for your own drinks.
As to fish. We do not kill Roster fish, PLEASE. Totuava will land you in a mexican jail as will turtles. Best eating fish are YT, cabrilla, bass ,WSB, snapper, dorado and triggers for cevechi. Bait we usually do not bring, it is up to you but really not needed. Making bait in not usually productive, but.............................Hope this helps, as to bedding I have extra cots but they are old. I use a cot and sleeping bay, sleeping on the ground is not good. Snakes, scorpions, bugs. Usually space inside for cot and bag. Some use the camprite tent cot. Some use a tent. Your choice, just remember three of us will be traveling in one truck, so if you dont need it leave it home. BRING enough fishing tackle, there are no tackle stores. Crockodiles, Iron, cast masters, repalas and lead heads and plastics. Make sure your rods, reels, drags are ready. Hope this answers your questions. Tight lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
The questions below are for those of us who have never been to Gonzaga. Some may seem too obvious, but I rather ask to make sure everything goes smooth on the trip. Thanks for your help.fficeffice" />>>
If the answers are below each question and with different color, it will stand out and easy to follow.>>
>>
>>
Q: Where and when do we meet? Can I meet you at your house to transfer my gear? I need extra time before the group meets to load up your car.>>
>>
>>
>>
Q: Once we are there; is there a place to get ice and or water? Perhaps at a walking distance.>>
>>
Q: Should I (may I) bring a vacuum pack devise to preserve fish fillets? It would require ice to keep them fresh until I get home.>>
>>
Q: Buddha has offered to cook for me if I provide groceries. Is there a place to buy them on the way? >>
If so I need to contact Buddha as what to get and how much of it. I can also pay for the food at the restaurant.>>
>>
>>
>>
Q: I know about the very reasonable fee for the domestic water usage. What are the bathroom arrangements?>>
>>
Q: Can you list the fish that is not allowed to be kept in Mexico? I know the daily bag limit is five (5) fish of the same species for the total of ten (10) total. Dorado has a limit of two (2). I can post a complete regulation, but it does not indicate what species are protected.>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Thanks.>>
>>

P.S. How can I prevent the icons (ffic office, >>) from showing up each time I post?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #113
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Q: Buddha has offered to cook for me if I provide groceries. Is there a place to buy them on the way[/B]? >>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Q: Do I need to bring a kayak cart? Regular or Wheeleez?

>>
Thanks.>>
>>

I think the best thing you can do is to bring a cooler and bring the meats and veggies with you. I can cook the first or early days for you so that the food will still be fresh. Just PM me on what you want me to cook for you and I will tell you what to buy.

I would recommend wheeleez carts.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #114
Mahigeer

Red face

Updated helpful information according to Bob with my own adjustments for anyone who has not been on a similar trip.fficeffice" />>>
>>
Q: Where and when do we meet? >>
Mahigeer and Gr8fuldude will meet at Bob’s place (693 Hillside terrace #5a, Vista 92084) no later than 3:30AM on October 17, 2015.

The rest will meet at Johnny’s Shell station in El Cajon no later than 5:00 AM. Johnny’s shell is at 67 and N. Magnolia Ave. 515 N. Magnolia in El Cajon just off of the freeway (8).
>>
>>
Q: Is there a safe place to leave my SUV while I am gone? >>
There is off street parking for Hashem and Gr8ful at Bob’s place.>>
>>
Get some before leaving US. >>
>>
Q: Once we are there; is there a place to get ice and or water? >>
Ten (10) miles to nearest store. Ice, etc.. 2-3 times ice runs possible. Will bring ice/water/ etc. from home.>>
>>
Too much hassle. Primarily a catch and release trip for me. I will donate my catch to the meals. If there is room in Bob’s truck, I will bring the vacuum pack machine with extra bags.>>
>>
Q: Buddha has offered to cook for me if I provide groceries. >>
Thanks Buddha for the offer. I will pay for the restaurant.>>
>>
No power grid. I was going to donate a small ice maker, but it has to have power constantly. Bring power strip and chargers.>>
>>
I will bring a chaise lounge/ sleeping bag. A tent for backup. I may consider sleeping in Palaps. Will have to see.>>
>>
I have a PORTO-PRIVY tent that can be used for privacy. It folds small.>>
>>
Q: Can you list the fish that is not allowed to be kept in Mexico? I know the daily bag limit is five (5) fish of the same species for the total of ten (10) Dorado has a limit of two (2).I can post a complete regulation, but it does not indicate what species are protected.>>
Catch and release for me, except if needed for meals. Will learn to ID fish like Totuava. >>
>>
I may take a secret bait for sheephead, if they are a possible catch.>>
>>
Q: Should I bring a kayak cart? Regular or Wheeleze?>>
>>Bob has Wheeleze cart for use. He will let us know how it works out.
>>

Q: Are sharks and sea lions a problem with regards to hanging fish on the side of kayak?
It is recommended to keep the fish in the kayak under a wet towel or burlap.

Bob, I will bring what I think I would need and you can decide how much of it can go in your truck. Rest can stay in my SUV. Thanks for the information provided. >>
>>
P.S. How can I prevent the icons (ffic office, >>) from showing up each time I post? >>

Last edited by Mahigeer; 08-19-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #115
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I have a wheeleze cart, it can be shared, also with the new 4x4 hope to load 3-4 yaks and drive to Punto Buefeo and just drop them in. Saves 1.25 mile paddle both ways. I will be trying this out in september on another trip.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #116
Mahigeer

On October 15, 2012 , I did a similar trip to Baja. This was on the Pacific side and we used a boat for fishing.fficeffice" />>>
There was a four room motel that I stayed for one night before we left. Picture #122. It was a great improvement to sleeping in the truck. Picture #121>>
I am all for “roughing it” if needed, but having a good night sleep can help toward preventing seasickness among other things.>>
>>
If anybody wants to share a Palaps please let me know. That way I can reduce my gear on Bob’s truck.>>
I do snore, but I can bring my CPAP machine providing there is electricity available all night.>>
>>
Here is the link to that trip. It is picture heavy with a lot of information.>>

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/...12+joe&start=0

>>

Last edited by Mahigeer; 08-17-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #117
makobob
Baitless on Baja

No power at palapas, bring your tent, sleeping bag. palapa is just a roof over your head...picture a flat sun shade at the swap meet. I leave my CPAP at home for these trips. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #118
Mahigeer

Will do.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #119
MrPukaShell

No phone or internet, correct?
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:34 AM   #120
makobob
Baitless on Baja

No internet, but ask Sven about phone as he usually gets phone/text service.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN