Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Spyder

9/17 WFO Afternoon Session in SD Bay

My son (Masta) and I launched the yaks out of Shelter Island at 4:30 pm.

Paddled over to the first spot and we were both on feesh within minutes . Pretty much from then on it was all you wanted on a mixed variety of critters. Small cuda, fat spotties, and sand bass were the main species in this paticular area.

Sherm arrived after awhile and joined in on the fun. He added to the mixed bag with a flattie, a calico, and a corgina. At any given point we all were hooked up and doubles were common.

Saw a HUGE group of gulls, cormorants, and pelicans all working a small area not far away. Paddled over and saw what must have been hundreds of fish (mostly small cuda's) jumping out of the water. Got into the middle of them and had a blast (even though I hooked a comorant ).

Left them biting at that spot and paddled over to the next area. Once again it was pretty much all you wanted spotties & sandies. I caught the final species for the afternoon, a fiesty sculpin. Called it a night around 7:00 pm.

One of the best afternoon sessions on the bay that I can remember. Must be because allot of us have been offshore chasing tuner's and such.

Final counts for my 2.5 hours were:
At least 12 to 15 Sandies
At least 12 to 15 Spotties
6 slime sticks
1 rattler

All feesh C&R'ed. All caught using GULP! swimming mullet, shrimp, and jerk bait. Nuclear chicken jerk bait kicked ass tonight on the dropper loop .

The last pic is of a palm tree that someone "sculpted" into a cool looking spiny lobster. The house is right on Nimitz Blvd. heading towards Pt. Loma.

Great hanging with ya Nick & Scott

Peace,

Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Sherm

]Hey bro.....good fishing with you and Nick yesterday. The fishing was just stupid. I had a regular smorgesbord of fish yesterday. The little snot sticks were everywhere. Twice I had them chase my lure right out of the water at yak side. One almost landed in the front of the yak. One time I put the rod down with the lure reeled all the way in to the tip of the pole. The gulp lure was hanging about six inches above the water and about a foot past the front of the yak. A cuda actually cleared the water and made a swipe at the gulp lure dangling in the air. Must have been a dork fish.

I caught several different species and the tide started to move just in time to get us back to the launch without much effort. The wind was non existant and the cigar was good. Another great day in San Diego.

All fish were caught on Gulp baits and 6lb test line.

Fish Count:

7 snotsticks (little guys)
1 Corvina (also little)
1 Hali (18 inches)
9 Spotties
3 turdrollers
1 checker
Attached Thumbnails
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
LocoKayako

Very nice fellas. Sure wish I lived closer to the big blue so I could have some evening sessions.
Very cool.

Gabe
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
hammerhead
Junior

Looks like I was in the wrong place.
I was up at O-side Harbor during the day. Oh well. Timing is everything.

Sounded like lots o fun.

-Charles
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote